I Forge Iron

the handy rail spike

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, so here's a few of what I have come up with so far. I would like to make a display board for visitors ... a long way to go to get anywhere near John's pics, but it's a start.

I was doing the back scratcher yesterday when a bunch of school kids came through. They had never seen such a thing and were greatly amused.

Many folks are just amazed at how much metal there is in a standard rail spike. I drew one out to 700mm and I guess it would be something of a challenge to get a metre out of one. Would be too fragile to be of much practical use though.

spike board.jpg

those crosses look awesome ausfire

sounds like you just threw a challenge out there regarding getting a metre out of a spike :D

pics or it didn't happen please people:P

those two crosses on the right have really kept there patina and look great

fergy

Ausfire, I love the cross/daggers! Can you show the steps you used to make them? They are awesome.

The slingshot was always a great idea, but i've never seen then made with a rivet, usually you see the spike split and drawn out to make the U.

Cool stuff.

Fergy, the cross on the extreme right is made from a wrought iron spike (the old ones that look like a dog - 'dog spikes') hence the grainy look. I have all manner of trouble dealing with wrought iron, so I pulled up with that cross before it got too thin and split. I have done dozens of bottle openers from the pan head spikes, but despite many tries I have not succeeded with a wrought iron spike.

Jim: The daggers (well, I call them letter openers - the kids are always asking if I can make daggers, knives, swords etc.) are made the same way you do a split cross. Just band saw (or split in the forge if you're keen) a rail spike more than half way along its length. Turn it round 90 degrees and do the same from the other end, making sure the cuts cross at a distance approximating the size you want the diamond to be. Twist it in the forge and draw a blade on one end and handle on the other and the other two bits become the hilt.

dbrown: Great slingshots. That's my next one. (Not blacksmith related, but how do you fashion the business part of the slingshot - rubber tubing, leather patch??) I want the complete article. Could be handy against pesky Indian mynahs that invade our garden from time to time.:angry:

On 11/19/2015 at 9:33 PM, ausfire said:

OK, so here's a few of what I have come up with so far. I would like to make a display board for visitors ... a long way to go to get anywhere near John's pics, but it's a start.

I really like the fork at the bottom and the daggers at the top. I'd be interested in hearing how you made those. The back scratcher looks like it'd rip skin off if you got carried away. And I'm know of a couple people that would love that. I recently got about 30 spikes I'm itching to play around with. I've got to make some thank you items from them. as the spikes were given to me. I lack for shop time. Just need to find a way to get out there more often.

On 11/22/2015, 1:23:14, ThorsHammer82 said:

The back scratcher looks like it'd rip skin off if you got carried away. 

Nah, it's pretty benign really. I rounded off the fingers and then gave it some serious wire wheel work. It works well!  :P

On 21 November 2015 6:46:53 am, ausfire said:

dbrown: Great slingshots. That's my next one. (Not blacksmith related, but how do you fashion the business part of the slingshot - rubber tubing, leather patch??) I want the complete article. Could be handy against pesky Indian mynahs that invade our garden from time to time.:angry:

If you forge balls on the end you can use jelly rubber like used on gidgies 

then use a piece of cord on the other end tied through a bead to attach your patch 

because the jelly rubber is hollow you push it over the bead/balls and secure it with another piece of cord like a hose clamp

normally using a leather patch about the size of a belt buckle ( not a Texas one) to hold your shot 

need a little guidance. I got about 30 RR Spikes from the event staff at my work. They used them for a manufacturing event they did as part of their centerpieces. and I'd like to make something to say thank you. I've got an idea of attempting to turn them into a bottle opener/corkscrew. Something that would suit both the girls on staff, and their guys at home. My idea is to turn the head into ah bottle opener, and the tips of the spikes would get turned into the corkscrews with a twist in between. And the corkscrew of course would be folded under to make a T handle shape. 

First question. 1, how ambitious am I being as a novice. 

Second question. How does one go about making a usable corkscrew?

The u shaped piece is 3/8" square. tips are forged down to about 1/4" - 5/16" round. surgical tubing replacements for wrist rocket slingshots was used. make sure the tips are sanded smooth so nothing abrasive can cut  the tubing. Dip in rubbing alcohol and slid on about an inch. Let set overnight. Then shoot cans! made these 3 last Christmas last year for my nephews. (One 30 years old.)They loved them! They were out trying to shoot dairy cows across the road!!!!!!!!!

flip.JPG

cressi-aluminium-2pc-5-16in-handspear.jp

that's what they are called here but apparently everywhere else they are called a hand spear

according to google this is a common name for a pet:(

maybe if I had a cat:D

you can get the rubber at any good fishing shop

fashion the ends of the ging like this

undersea-wire-bridle.jpg

and use something like this to attach the patch

P1060046%20(640x480)-800x600.jpg

and fasten with a wrap and knot of cord

I like those spike'n'horseshoe humming birds! Simple but effective.

I'm going to try putting a pair of paws on an upright rail spike ... anyone notice how the heads closely resemble a meerkat??? Twist one between finger and thumb and you've got a meerkat lookout.

And Das, your marshmallow toaster looks fine, but I have found them impractical ... they melt the marshmallow and it falls in the fire. A stick is not as handsome but seems to preserve the delicacy better.

24 minutes ago, ausfire said:

Das, your marshmallow toaster looks fine, but I have found them impractical ... they melt the marshmallow and it falls in the fire. A stick is not as handsome but seems to preserve the delicacy better.

I Love the Meerkat idea Ausfire. 

the fork is invaluable for multiple uses. i havnt lost a marshmallow yet ;) but hotdogs, sausage, bacon, toast, anything you can poke on it, or hold with it. sticks are too easy. lol kinda like, i had long tines on this guy. buddy said" fix em on this piece of 1" round." one side breaks off... i correct the other side, go again, side breaks off again......... correct again and said ok i'm happy with imperfect :) lets leave it alone. any way if a stick works, it works. why perfect it or change the way something just "works" just wanted to make this is all.   and if Your happy with something, just go with it.

Oh!, has anyone ever used a couple rr spikes into a lucky horseshoe? it was an idea i had tonight..

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, ausfire said:

Neat crosses. Are they the old wrought iron spikes or have you textured them?? Looks woodgrainy.

Textured with a ball peen hammer whose face was carved up with a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder:

IMG_20160103_083139966.jpg

• 1 month later...