I Forge Iron

Chassis Titan prototype

TheoRockNazz

Hello again,

Here is the piece I've been working on for several months, and even have a patent pending for aspects of. The honeycomb mesh is lofted 1mm-2mm, and allows for air flow under the palm in an attempt to maintain a solid grip through sweat/blood/etc. Swinging it around you feel a slight breeze under your hand. 

20151027_124119-01.thumb.jpeg.4472ee527120151027_124231-01.thumb.jpeg.37ecfab6c120151027_124307-01.thumb.jpeg.8cf466fafb20151027_124319-01.thumb.jpeg.3e218cd4b520151027_124338-01.thumb.jpeg.0c6a0a3b9420151027_124408-01.thumb.jpeg.017b84680c20151027_125235-01.thumb.jpeg.ddf0d5e472

Here it is with the folder version (that I've been using heavily):20151027_142407-02.thumb.jpeg.151bc95ba5

The blade is W2 with a random hamon. After polishing to 1200 I gave it a quick hot blue, something I want to start doing for all my blades... however I then made the mistake of wiping it down after with 1200 grit in random directions, fudging up the satin finish a bit. Wood's stabilized burl for easy cleanup when it does get dirty, which it will; I plan on putting this design through it's paces after some more glamour shots. This'll probably be the first knife I send off to Sharp's or Point Seven... then I'll beat the living snot outta it. 

This is a prototype, and I can already see there are areas that can be improved. Where the ring join in the subhilt area needs to be perpendicular. I have to print and cast a thinner mesh to reduce weight and reduce the offset of the lofted mesh. The flow from the blade to handle could be smoother. While the edges of the printed components are rounded off and comfortable to hold, only once I start using it will I know for sure if they will need to be rounded off more.

2015-10-27_12.44.41.thumb.jpg.56961505f52015-10-27_12.44.57.thumb.jpg.beec2c9f9a2015-10-27_12.45.08.thumb.jpg.fcfc5d82912015-10-27_12.45.27.thumb.jpg.17c1b80db5

Let me know what ya'll think,

Theo

Did someone tell you to get a grip Theo?  Nice grips though I'd have to give them a working to decide if the pattern is so large as to be too rough.

A friend of mine in Boyscouts hand checkered the handle on his knife and it was such a great improvement one of the other kids checkered his but made it "better." Really large cuts and it wouldn't slip but it would wear a kid's hand raw after a little while.

As much as I like that handle it brings the memory of a fellow scout's knife. Just remembering and thinking.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sorry Theo, Can't tell a thing from the pics. Please send it to me for further inspection, postage paid of course......      Dave

Haha, yeah, I'll ship it tomorrow

Did someone tell you to get a grip Theo?  Nice grips though I'd have to give them a working to decide if the pattern is so large as to be too rough.

A friend of mine in Boyscouts hand checkered the handle on his knife and it was such a great improvement one of the other kids checkered his but made it "better." Really large cuts and it wouldn't slip but it would wear a kid's hand raw after a little while.

As much as I like that handle it brings the memory of a fellow scout's knife. Just remembering and thinking.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just gotta beat the snot outta it see how it holds up and feels. A finer pattern would probably be better, but the printers that can achieve that level of detail are out of my budget

Just gotta beat the snot outta it see how it holds up and feels. A finer pattern would probably be better, but the printers that can achieve that level of detail are out of my budget

That's my thought, I'd have to do same. Of course sell a few and you aught to be able to upgrade your printer.

In the interests of forwarding a talented young man I'll sacrifice my time and old fart hands by beating the snot out of a couple. Do you have a Kukri profile in the works? I have a bunch of scrub alder and willow that would serve as a perfect test facility.

I'll PM my mailing address soonest. No sacrifice is too great.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ok looks like I got gigged by the disappearing post gremlin:  I like the idea of the air flow and the positive grip aspects but I think cleaning it after a messy job will be an issue---especially as soaking it is probably not a good idea with that blade...As a display piece it's beautiful! 

Ok looks like I got gigged by the disappearing post gremlin:  I like the idea of the air flow and the positive grip aspects but I think cleaning it after a messy job will be an issue---especially as soaking it is probably not a good idea with that blade...As a display piece it's beautiful! 

Yeah, I'm still working on that aspect. I would like to evolve the design into one that can be disassembled for cleaning without sacrificing structural integrity. 

The blade is hot blued, so for a little while cleaning would be easy, but as that blue wears off it'd get ugly. 

Just got some great critique from Bill at Mastersmiths; the blade needs to have more consistent spotting/hammer marks, or be completely clean, or patternwelded. I agree

Thanks, good idea.

Well, interesting results on the crowd funding front. It's launched here: https://fundwarrior.com/fund/?i=203

The folks I'm working with added a lot to the campaign because how they get paid is by taking a percentage... however the amount they ended on I feel is too high. Thankfully any money donated gets distributed to me, don't have to reach the goal to see the money. Still, I feel the amount is intimidating to potential donators... what do y'all think?

• 2 weeks later...