I Forge Iron

Car blower motor?

Young and Dumb

Hi everyone, new to the forum here. I was wondering if anyone has used a blower motor out of a car for their source of air? If so how well did it work? What size tubing did you use for the tuyere?

A friend of mine has a new blower motor for his truck that he's willing to give me. Me and another friend are in the thought process of making a forge and that's when I thought of using a blower motor. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Too much hassle dealing with 12dc voltage. Just go find a cheap hair drier at a thrift store, or garage sale. 110v ac,  variable speed, and easy. Others have used bathroom exhaust fans too, as well as canister vacuum cleaners.  You don't need a ton of air, so a slider gate valve will reduce it down to what you need.

The car blower works fine. Just need to have a way to reduce volume. Either by rheostat, gate valve or a gap between the blower and the tuyere.  Dont forget an on/off switch.  

I use an old deep cycle battery for a trolling motor that will last an easy 10hrs before i need to recharge it.  A newer one will likely last much longer since the blowers draw is much less than a trolling motor.

• 3 weeks later...