I Forge Iron

Cable damascus try

NickOHH

Jws gave me a peice of cable when me and Marcy went to visit.  The cable got a bit drawn out while I was welding it so I ended up welding the whole thing and forging a tang. Heated a bit over non magnetic and quenched in brine then tempered at 340. Ground on a disk sander up to 220 then etched in ferric chloride for 30 mins. Handle is zebrawood.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey nice first for welded cable. Neat shape to it. I like it. Only thing on the shape that would be more pleasing to my untrained non knife making eye would be for the blade to follow to the handle more and stop there on the edge side instead of it tapering to the handle. But I can't critique it cause I haven't tried yet. :) good start in it. 

Hey nice first for welded cable. Neat shape to it. I like it. Only thing on the shape that would be more pleasing to my untrained non knife making eye would be for the blade to follow to the handle more and stop there on the edge side instead of it tapering to the handle. But I can't critique it cause I haven't tried yet. :) good start in it. 

well get on it!! I have made several since my first attempt at a knife about a month ago. It's addictive, now I just need to find about 100' of cable

well get on it!! I have made several since my first attempt at a knife about a month ago. It's addictive, now I just need to find about 100' of cable

haha, nice and I bet it is. I'm still working on some tools. guess it wouldn't hurt to cut a piece of leaf spring and give it a shot. I'll have to re read on proper quench and heat treating. I glance at the subject here and there and numbers get jumbled in my brain so it would be best if I study up on that subject and actually apply it. 

Ive made many KSO's. Just never anything proper before.  Good luck getting some cable. Can't wait to see the next ones you make. 

haha, nice and I bet it is. I'm still working on some tools. guess it wouldn't hurt to cut a piece of leaf spring and give it a shot. I'll have to re read on proper quench and heat treating. I glance at the subject here and there and numbers get jumbled in my brain so it would be best if I study up on that subject and actually apply it. 

Ive made many KSO's. Just never anything proper before.  Good luck getting some cable. Can't wait to see the next ones you make. 

I just heated this til the blade wasn't magnetic let it get a bit hotter not much though and gave it a minute the quenched in room temp brine. The coil spring ones I've been quenching I'm warm oil. Either temper em in the oven(not ideal) or on the forge while the fire is dying out.

Yea the rope squishes slot it was 1 inch, recycled. I'm gonna look for some bigger rope but that would work again now that I'm aware of how much size I will lose.

Well, actually that rope was brand new from MacWhyte, you just didn't pay attention to the spool I have of it near my coal bin. I don't like repurposed cable just like I don't like repurposed springs - never know what the previous life had it doing. So, did you first forge weld your ends, then tighten the twist? While I get some reduction in size after welding I get a quite solid non-"squishy" steel.

J

Well, actually that rope was brand new from MacWhyte, you just didn't pay attention to the spool I have of it near my coal bin. I don't like repurposed cable just like I don't like repurposed springs - never know what the previous life had it doing. So, did you first forge weld your ends, then tighten the twist? While I get some reduction in size after welding I get a quite solid non-"squishy" steel.

J

I stand corrected I had a feeling I may have been wrong after I said recycled. I did forge weld the ends and twist, may have not twisted it enough not wanting to break strands or is loosening up while I worked it possible. Probably just didn't get it tight enough. 

I stand corrected I had a feeling I may have been wrong after I said recycled. I did forge weld the ends and twist, may have not twisted it enough not wanting to break strands or is loosening up while I worked it possible. Probably just didn't get it tight enough. 

There's a happy medium when twisting, but if it's loosening up then your weld on the billet wasn't good. In class I always point out the audible difference once that weld sets, I don't really know how to describe it here though.. but at welding temp when you start it should be sort of a "thunk - thunk -tonk." Perhaps I should have demonstrated while you guys were here - only takes me 25 minutes from start to blade, but I've kinda got a system down. In my cable class I typically expect about an hour and a half to be eaten up by forging. :)

J

There's a happy medium when twisting, but if it's loosening up then your weld on the billet wasn't good. In class I always point out the audible difference once that weld sets, I don't really know how to describe it here though.. but at welding temp when you start it should be sort of a "thunk - thunk -tonk." Perhaps I should have demonstrated while you guys were here - only takes me 25 minutes from start to blade, but I've kinda got a system down. In my cable class I typically expect about an hour and a half to be eaten up by forging. :)

J

I suppose untwisting is not what happened because the tongs would had to be turning with other side stationary. Good chance I just didn't get it tight enough, and a good chance I just accidentally drew it out to much. While your welding the blade do you slowly turn it or just work. 2 sides and make it flat from the start?

I suppose untwisting is not what happened because the tongs would had to be turning with other side stationary. Good chance I just didn't get it tight enough, and a good chance I just accidentally drew it out to much. While your welding the blade do you slowly turn it or just work. 2 sides and make it flat from the start?

the only time i turn it i when welding the ends. I twist the rest tight and weld the blade solid followed by the tang if applicable.

J

the only time i turn it i when welding the ends. I twist the rest tight and weld the blade solid followed by the tang if applicable.

J

gotcha , working 4 sides is what screwed me up, and I suppose how you keep the cable intact on the top of the blade. I will be on the hunt for cable, lol