I Forge Iron

$20 improvement on Grizzly G1015 grinder

j.w.s.

So on a whim the other night while sitting in the chat room, probably having a beer, I had another tab open and was looking around at 2x72 grinders. Love kmg, but at $700 for just a frame without the essentials I knew I'd sink well over $1200 into the grinder just to have it the way I want. Coote's are cool, but after really examining it, I realized its really just a nicely put together Grizzly G1015 aka a two wheeled Burr-King clone. So i took the bait and ran with it. I've used this grinder before but really needed one in the new shop immediately. Ordered at 1:30am Tuesday morning, it was here at 8am Wednesday - if anything Grizzly shipping is on the ball. I wish it were variable speed, but more importantly I desired a way to keep stock cool while grinding. So a quick search on Amazon found me this little gem for $19.99 and free shipping  (such a sucker when the word free is used and my credit card is in hand). It's a air powered coolant mister with a ball valve. I just drilled a hole in a 1 gal water bottle and ran the feeder into it. So far, I'm kinda impressed. It keeps my blades cool, keeps them on the belt instead of constantly dunking in a bucket and it seems to have improved the life of my belts. I've had this idea floating around in the back of my head ever since my abrasive vendor told me that their belts were waterproof. Anyway, works well, not a lot of mess, no puddles under the grinder and it seems to be yielding some nice results. I did add a few drops of dish soap to the water which seems to hinder rapid oxidation on freshly ground wet blades. Just figured I'd share and see if anyone else has been using something similar on their set-up.

J

20151015_061915.thumb.jpg.0c60be637c48cc20151015_061926.thumb.jpg.40c7b85ee4824420151015_061946.thumb.jpg.18045a33882518

Looks clever - doesn't it spray off of one end?

What were you using for a sander prior to this?

Reference for the mister?  I can't find it for that price on Amazon.

I had a bader in the old shop, but that stayed in place when I went off on my own. Which is fine, it's been becoming a Frankenstein over the past 20 years or more and would have cost more just to fix it correctly. I've got a nice collection of smaller belt grinders plus I'm rather fond of 4.5" flap wheels. As for the water. It stays on the belt with minimal loss over the 8" wheel. Where it comes off is over the smaller 4" wheel, collects in the shroud - so I've got a small pale under it to catch it. I wear an apron when using it which does get a little moist, but that's the nature of the game. The Amazon part was FORSUN-000009 but they're out of stock now. There's some others, I just chose this one due to where it shipped from so I knew I wouldn't be waiting 6 weeks for it.

J

I have a similar setup on my milling machine.  That one can be adjusted to spray a mist of coolant that evaporates and cools the work without leaving behind enough liquid to drip off of things.  Instead of soap I use a mist cooling fluid which prevents the water from getting skanky in the bottle when I don't use all of it.  It mixes at something like 1 oz per quart.  I just looked it up, what I'm using is made by Kool Mist.

• 4 years later...

Welcome aboard Aldo, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance. 

That's probably about as close to talking politics as we talk in the forum, it's one of the poison topics and not allowed. 

What are your interests? What do you make, pics of your: work, shop, equipment, tools, house, kids, pets, etc.? We love pics, anything you'd show a youngster.

Frosty The Lucky.

Happy to have you here Aldodabrain. Like Frosty suggested, editing your profile to show your location helps when answers requiring knowing where in the world you are located get better answers. I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

On 2/29/2020 at 1:51 AM, Frosty said:

What are your interests? What do you make, pics of your: work, shop, equipment, tools, house, kids, pets, etc.? We love pics, anything you'd show a youngster.

I never introduced myself either. Maybe I will do that tomorrow after finishing the work on my wifes truck and have spare time.