I Forge Iron
Frosty

T Burner Illustrated Directions

I would prefer to keep my feet out pf this bear trap, but you have serious need of help. Your photos show steady flame improvement, BUT the forge shell is getting way too hot around the burner portals. Try changing how far inside the refractory your burners sit. If you don't get relief from that, try to find a blacksmith group in your area to show the forge too them, and GET HELP SUPER FAST!!!

Those jets of blue flame coming up around the mixing tubes are pretty scary! Must be a lot of back pressure to get jets like that. (Sorry, I’m not a gas forge guy yet, so I can’t offer much help, but keeping working on it. I plan on building one at some point, and you never know, I could run into the same problem.)

David

Big thanks to Frosty and the group around here for the insight and guiding new people through the process. I've been reading through these forums for a while now; finally signed up to get the T-burner designs and started a basic forge for a proof-of-concept. Built a down-sized T-burner (used the ratios in the blueprints to go down to 1/2" instead of 3/4") but am a little lacking in infrastructure here - I don't have a drill press and am using a smaller, handheld drill and a vise attached to a stump. Drilled and tapped holes, but am off about 10 degrees on the MIG tip. Fired up the forge anyway, did a leak test and operated fine at about 15PSI. Heated metal well and got a good air-gas ratio with a little adjustment. No dragon's breath and no issues with the burner found.

My question for you is whether or not this misalignment will slow me down or seriously damage anything or is it serviceable to run until I build a more long-lasting forge down the road? Is there anything I can do other than getting a new T-fitting and re-drilling it?

Side note, yes, I know I'm using a bunch of fittings there; I had access to them and a propane regulator on a hose and it seemed to work instead of getting the tubing. Will probably go that route instead with the next forge build, just wanted to get something working for now so I could get a feel for this craft and learn. 

Appreciate any feedback or recommendations. I've already learned a ton just reading everyone else's questions.

20200401_163153.thumb.jpg.e14e952680ec6e2ceeed429ead9a19f2.jpg

The misalignment of the mig tip in relation to your mixing tube will most definitely affect the performance of the burner.  There's no getting around that.  However, you asked if it will slow you down or seriously damage anything.  You will most likely burn more fuel than you would with a well tuned and properly aligned burner, and it's not likely that you'll be able to reach forge welding temperatures.   On the other hand there's little danger of it blowing up in your face or anything approaching that level of danger.  You may be able to get steel up to forging temperatures and make some items with what  you have built.   Also, you are probably not inducing enough air due to the misalignment and the depth of the mig tip orifice in the T, so you'll probably be generating a fair amount of CO.  You need a detector and adequate ventilation if indoors or you'd need to operate that outdoors to avoid inhaling too much of that stuff.

There's probably not much you can do for the alignment without starting with a new T.  If you were really close you could try gently bending the mig tip towards center, but by my eye you are too far out of alignment for that.

Side note:  The thread tape is not needed or even desirable where the mixing tube threads into the T or the reducer fitting at the other end.  In that portion of the burner even if you do have tiny leaks they will not be noticeable or cause any problems.   On the flame end you will cook the tape for sure if the burner is running anywhere near right.

Got it; I am only running this outdoors already due to a healthy fear/respect for propane, high heat, and toxic gasses. Will probably continue that way unless I open up my garage to work. If it's not going to hurt anything and just give me a less-than-ideal mixture I'll keep using it for now until I get a new one made up. Just wanted to check here and make sure.

Thanks for the note on the thread tape- that's easy to fix and I'll remove it. Tape was cheap and I got a little tape-happy, ya know?

a little tip for helping with aligning your tap.

tap from the inside out, as long as your drilled hole is centered then you simply have to keep the rear of the tap centered with the fitting. 

only works for parallel threads but should get you close enough.

If you use the floor flange and close nipple for the jig. Do NOT remove the T until you're done. I only change out taps for the drill bits, drill, tap, install next fitting, drill & tap. This keeps everything as perfectly aligned as is reasonable without high end equipment. If you leave the floor flange clamped down you can make T burners in batches. 

A drill press is second only to a lathe.

Frosty The Lucky.