I Forge Iron

My First Hammer

NickOHH

So we fired up the forge today and i used a section of torsion bar to make a small hammer, ended up with a diagonal peen, trying out the hammer eye drift i made abit ago. To my surprise i actually punched the hole pretty strait and got both sides lined up very nicely, by far the best hole i have punched, have a bit more grinding to do in the morning before heat treating.

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

Cool. It's addictive making your own tools. The hardest part is punching the hole. From there it's much more smooth sailing. Heehee now make another one....... or ten. You might want a little more radius on the edges of your face. Looks nice, congratulations.

Cool. It's addictive making your own tools. The hardest part is punching the hole. From there it's much more smooth sailing. Heehee now make another one....... or ten. You might want a little more radius on the edges of your face. Looks nice, congratulations.

I got ideas  for the one, im gonna make marcy help me B) can't wait to try it out, i have to light the forge to treat it in the morning, so who knows what may happen.

well she was working on something atleast but you two need to work as a team and not in competition. :)  then you can say "WE made this or that" and not "I", man you two got it made. you both have the same awesome hobby that you can Forge into something great together. you could be a great team. keep at it! and always have fun.

well she was working on something atleast but you two need to work as a team and not in competition. :)  then you can say "WE made this or that" and not "I", man you two got it made. you both have the same awesome hobby that you can Forge into something great together. you could be a great team. keep at it! and always have fun.

We are going to start working as a team on projects, I just need to get better at somethings first!

invest in a 4.5" angle grinder and a bunch of flap disks........life will be easier

have one, those pics were after some rough grinding on the wheel, hit it with some 220 on a disk to clean it up a bit.

That'll do! Now you'll have to make another with the pien the other way too. :D 

Did you have an intended purpose for it? 

no intended purpose, just wanted to try my hand at making a hammer, marcy now has a diagnal to use, were gonna tag team another and make a bigger one next.

finishedish, not the best handle but it will due.

IMG_7575.JPG

IMG_7576.JPG

Marcie: If you wait till you get good to get in there you never will. . . Either. Like Charles says work to each other's strengths and you'll both become more than the sum.

Yeah, it looks good on that beautiful old anvil. Now heat something up and start beating the shine of health into her again.

Frosty The Lucky.

I personally like a pretty flat face on my hammers, (at least on one end ) but I think I'd still recommend radiusing the edges and possibly crowning the face a little bit more. Hard to tell from pics. Makes me grin looking at the hammer pictures though. I enjoy hand made hammers and tooling.

Real flat faces suck, if your blow isnt perfectly flat the hammer wants to jump and twist in your hand. New rounding hammers tend to be like that. Took a year to learn enugh to figuer out what was going on. So crouwn it a bit more. Generaly their is enugh wable in our hands that if you use a belt sander or disk sander held in the vice and spin the head by hand you come out about right. Otherwise about a 12" radius seams to be about right. 

That finished up nice. What did you do for heat treat? Heat treating is pretty much my main reservation for hammer making. I've reforged a couple before (including a diagonal pien I drew out the wrong way) and I usually end up tempering them back too much out of caution. 

Edited by Panday