Sign in to follow this  
Wayne

Hunting spear

Thanks, 

the blade and socket could have done with more of a polish but he wanted it fast and was happy to sit and polish it at the event.

Nice spear.

I thought the boar stops were mounted at a 90 to the blade face so once the spear was stopped any thrashing the spear carrier or boar did would slice. The way they're mounted as pictured it'd be more likely to bend the blade than mince the recipient.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty

Most of the spears I have seen with wings/arms have the blade and wings lying parallel with each other,

There are some with a seperate  stop that is attached by tying or a metal link which appear to lie at 90 degrees to the blade.

May I commend to your attention "Hunting Weapons" Howard Blackmore, Arms and Armour Series; for a brief discussion of the several types used

Sorry bikecop

I wish I could, as soon as the paint was dry my friend took it. The shaft is round where it goes into the socket but hexagonal for the rest.

Overall just under 8 feet overall length with the head and socket just short of 19 inches forged in one piece apart from the cross bar which passes through a drilled hole and brazed.