I Forge Iron

40 years into my apprenticeship.....

Smoggy

Hi all, recently registered and after two day I've eventually found the introduction section.....not to worry I'll find me bearings shortly!

I was directed here by Iron Dwarf who I've know for some years now and have helped at displays previously (Strattford last year and was to be seen malingering around the stand again last week). I was originally an apprentice Fitter and Turner, then had a full working life in Civil Engineering followed by a short career in Adult Education. As a young lad I promised myself I would one day have my very own workshop (hobby) and as I'm now a gentleman of leisure I'm in the process of sorting it all out. The forge/foundry is all but up and running ( intentionally no power supply ) and I've started on my machine shop.

So here I am 40 years later still on that learning curve and happy to be so.....and fair itching to get me hammer swinging regularly!

I just wish you guys from across the pond could TYPE in a British accent... I do love to hear it.  I've long said if I die and go to heaven and God doesn't have a British accent I'm going to be just terribly disappointed!

Be careful what you wish for....there are a lot of different accents over here just like on your side. Throw in a few dialects and it is amazing anybody manages to communicate outside the parish.

Oh, and welcome to you Smoggy... in my finest, received pronounciated, BBC English.

Alan

Thanks for the welcome folks, I could type in a British accent, which of the hundreds would you like Spanky? lol

The name Ian, well that's sort of linked to the accents.....in so much that it originate from my locality, here in Englandshire each area has a pet name, some you may be familiar with, Cockney's are from London, Scouses are from Liverpool etc, in the north east you could be a Geordie, a Macam, a Cod Head, a Sand Dancer etc, all of which have an origin, ( and their own accents ) Middlesbrough was traditionally a heavy industry town, Steel Works, chemicals, coking ovens etc, and due to the topography, sheltered on 3 sides, the smoke and fumes used to hang over the town, Hence, anyone from Middlesbrough is known as a Smoggie! All these names where originally meant to be derogatory, but in truth we are all proud of our own unique little bit of heritage....event the Monkey Hangers......but we can save that one for another posting.

As I've become well know as Smoggie I simply use the alternative ending so folks can identify me in print.

Good Morning, Ol' Smoggy

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get a chance to start your own "Play Pen" earlier on in your life. I know, there is always a reason why. Forget "WHY"!!

Welcome from the left coast of North America, Victoria, British Columbia. Victoria is thought of as a chip off the the Block, the UK Block. We have lots of different accents, some try to keep it, some say "I don't have an accent, you do". It's just a game in some peoples minds. The short and long of it is, Get on with your Play-Pen!! Forget about trying to have "All" the tools before your start, you already were born with the most important one between your ears!!

Start small and simple. You will make mistakes, they are called lessons. I think a bunch of positive lessons will create a positive attitude. The learning and lessons will never stop, One lifetime is too short to know everything.

Enjoy the Journey, take little steps, don't run.

Neil

I'm definately not running Swede, far to decrepid for that, as for tools, I already have most I'll ever need, I've procured quite a bit of kit over the years as I have always been building or repairing something.......Tool making itself is a bit of a passion with me and inveitably the better your facilities the more tools you are able to make.....sometimes I swear they are breeding in the garage!

Welcome aboard Smoggy, glad to have you. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley in the Los Angeles area of S. California. An old saying of ours was, "How can you trust air you can't see? No fooling there were days you couldn't see the foothills from under 5 miles.

You are SOOOO going to fit in here. How are you at snappy reparte? I personally love a good straight line almost as much as a good pun.

Frosty The Lucky

Charles the comment is good but only if you know that Frosty get hit in the head with a whole tree. After a stay in the hospital ICU and recovery we are very fortunate to still have Frosty with us. The tree may not have knocked some sense into him, it did sharpen his wit to a keen edge, and slowed him just enough that now the rest of us can keep up with him. Straight lines and puns and Frosty wins every time.

Welcome to the site.

Edited by Glenn

Snappy repartee, I'll leave that for you to judge Frosty......Now Banana Bender is a new one on me Ausfire, is that all Queenslanders, just the North, or a region thereoff?

Thanks for the Additional info Glenn, Charles did have me puzzled somewhat, but I do now understand Frosty's tag line!.........As you may have noticed from my other posts, I'm busy getting used to the forum and gleaning absolutely masses of information from the many informative posts. So thanks for the site and the warm welcomes.....

(Frosty, can I ask, was it a willow tree that dropped on you, I only ask as willow bark contains acetylsalicylic acid......which is apparently very good for headaches!)

Now Banana Bender is a new one on me Ausfire, is that all Queenslanders, just the North, or a region thereoff?

Applies to all Queenslanders. We have Crow-eaters (South Australians) and Sandgropers (West Australians) as well. Not sure about the other states.

Snappy repartee, I'll leave that for you to judge Frosty......Now Banana Bender is a new one on me Ausfire, is that all Queenslanders, just the North, or a region thereoff?

Thanks for the Additional info Glenn, Charles did have me puzzled somewhat, but I do now understand Frosty's tag line!.........As you may have noticed from my other posts, I'm busy getting used to the forum and gleaning absolutely masses of information from the many informative posts. So thanks for the site and the warm welcomes.....

(Frosty, can I ask, was it a willow tree that dropped on you, I only ask as willow bark contains acetylsalicylic acid......which is apparently very good for headaches!)

Nope no asprin. I was attacked by a great white . . . birch.

Charles has everybody puzzled now and then. I think he does it on purpose, another of his endearing traits.

Frosty The Lucky

Any plans on making birch suryp this year?

That'd be next year and No, too much work for OK syrup. The boil down ratio makes maple syrup seem like it drips out of the tree ready for pancakes. Birch syrup is okay but not a very distinctive flavor, it's mostly sweet with a hint of flavor.

Frosty The Lucky

Birch Beer maybe Frosty.  Most guys would "smarten up by being hit by a limb but Frosty needed the whole tree. 

Smoggy welcome from the West side of the pond from New England, six states with at least 8 accents 7 wrong except for the  Vermont one!  Some apprenticeships  last longer than others.  I started 57 yrs. ago and still trying to start the fire!!  After 30 yrs fighting fires and learning #1 rule of Fire Fighting "Put the wet stuff on the red stuff" everytime I get the iron hot enough to work I put Water! on it :wacko:   Just never seem to get ahead.   Old Dogs and New Tricks!

Welcome Smoggy you will like IFI great people.