I Forge Iron

Welcome aboard Taman, glad to have you. Dito adding our location you might be surprised how many of the Gang live within visiting distance. You'll learn more in an hour with an experienced smith than days or longer figuring it out yourself.

WAY too much air, it's a common early mistake, a blow drier is more air than you usually need. I pick up 12v dc and the occasional 120v ac inflatall blowers made to inflate rafts, air mattresses, etc. quickly whenever I see them at yard, garage, etc. sales for cheap. They put out WAY too much air but if you only aim part of the out flow at your supply pipe it makes them easy to adjust.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

being new to this I can't say, some doesn't seem to be excessive. I understand scale is a product of decarbonization. I further ,If I understood what I was reading that it is a byproduct of excess heat among other things that I cannot control. is this correct?

28 minutes ago, tamann said:

being new to this I can't say, some doesn't seem to be excessive. I understand scale is a product of decarbonization. I further ,If I understood what I was reading that it is a byproduct of excess heat among other things that I cannot control. is this correct?

Yes about what scale is, no about cannot control the amount of heat. Your heat is controlled by the amount of air and where you place the steel in the fire.

Read through this thread for a better explanation.

fe3o4 is iron oxide , no? The decarbonization thing was from googling decarbonization. I heard the term so I googled it. They said it was a by product of several factors 1 being excess heat,  I have not forged anything but hi carbon, spring steel. I place the work level center of fire cone then cover with material , add air wait until the fire glows yellow turn off the air and most times it is bright orange once it was bordering on yellow but looked to be too hot. Unless I wanted to weld. I'm not up to welding yet, I'm getting the hang of moving the steel the way I want it to go.I have been watching tube videos and of course forged in fire, getting the way to work the metal from those sources.