I Forge Iron

Finding a Name for your Shop or forge

So im wanting to name my "forge/ shop" I do not have a business yet nor do i call my little garage my buisness. I just want to get a name for it. So when I start selling what I craft and make there be a name behind the wears besides people saying. Oh Scott or Scottie/ Scotty Powers made it. I think when people say this was made at( so and so blacksmith shop or forge and Him Her or the other forged it) sounds better.

Im leaning towards the name Thunders Forge for my little "shop" aka garage lol.  Is there any thoughts on this or what not? If i deside to make this name for my forge and what not. If another person has it will i have to change the name or what?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Powers Forge - strong name and has the benefit of being your last name, which makes it easy enough to look you up.  Get yourself a SP touchmark and you're good to go.  All IMHO, of course.  Others with more experience will chime in.  

Our local forge council maintain a registry of touchmarks (but not forge names), I took a hard look at it when I designed mine so it wouldn't be too close to anything already there.  I'd think a good Google search could tell you if the name you choose already exists or not. 

Edited by SpankySmith

"The Powers that be---forging!"

ARRRR MAITTY... lol 

I do Like Powers Forge. Im really into the nordice and viking lore and there master crafters are dwarfs so that might play into the name as well. I want my makers mark to be the runic SP combination. 

Lets here more ideas

Was nicknamed the Norwegian (6'5" 240 lbs. of Norwegian decent) a long time ago. Father In-law's name is Thor (All 5'1" Italian man that he is). My oldest son's middle name is Thor, so Thor's Hammer Industries became the name of my welding shop. My youngest son's middle name is Loki. I'm sure if I ever get to the point where I'm naming my forge it will follow along the same theme. My gas forge is named Fafnir (Norse Dragon) so I'm sure it'll be some sort of Nordic inspired name when I come around to it. I tend to find that names have a tendency to find themselves.

I named mine Underhill Forge, primarily because as a fan of Fletch and a former bartender my fellow liquor slingers and I would refer to each other as Mr Underhill whenever we'd comp each other's drinks.. fortunately it also happens to coincide with the Lord of the Rings and conjures a nice image when it comes to being a bladesmith.. :)

J

I called my shop, "The Frostworks" without specifying blacksmithing. I do a lot  more. In fact one of my old mottos was, "Stuff done with metal." A good friend of mine thought that sounded like I'm some dumb hick but everybody I gave a card to got it ad remembered my name is they needed something done with metal.

"Powerworks" has a ring to it as so does, "Scottworks."

Frosty The Lucky.

I call mine 'The Village Forge'. Pretty ordinary name, but it fits well with the Historic Village where I do my demos.

With a name like Powers, you could probably use the strength of the name in your shop name.

Powers Forge sounds good to me.

I named mine Berry Family Forge, Berry being my last name. I'm hoping that when my boys are old enough they'll take an interest and we can make a family business of it. And I agree that Powers Forge sounds perfect. If you're keen on using thunder, I like the sound of Thunder Hammer Forge. :)

I live in a narrow small valley in VT and it's biggest asset is Kedron Brook that runs out of the mountains and ends up in the CT River a number of miles away.  It's been known as the Valley of the Kedron for a couple hundred years and the brook runs about 75 yds in front of my cabin and Forge sooooo it became Kedron Forge.  There are a number of other farms, stables, Inn and workman with Kedron in their names, We even had a kid named Kedron Brooks by his parents.  We like to be different in our Valley, No Cell Phone Service for miles and we like it that way.  You don't text someone you go see them or call them on a land line, it's all in person contact.  I work away from the valley most weeks and when I drive into the farm I turn the cell phone off, leave it in the truck and step back 50 yrs, very nice.   

Edited by notownkid

I called my shop, "The Frostworks" without specifying blacksmithing. I do a lot  more. In fact one of my old mottos was, "Stuff done with metal." A good friend of mine thought that sounded like I'm some dumb hick but everybody I gave a card to got it ad remembered my name is they needed something done with metal.

"Powerworks" has a ring to it as so does, "Scottworks."

Frosty The Lucky.

Whatever works.... :P

The biggest thing you need to worry about is how it comes across to the non-smith.  Is it juvenile?  Too mystical or ethnic?  

There's no rush, so take your time and think on it.  You're fortunate to have a good family name that's easy to pronounce, spell and also works with the trade.  Think long and hard on how you can use it to your benefit.

Steer clear of botching the spelling.  It's "works", not 'werx' or 'werks'!  Bastardizing it doesn't make you tougher, stronger, more capable, sexier or richer.  I make a point of never doing business with a company that does stuff like that simply because I find it too juvenile.  It's like the barbwire tattoo around the bicep.  :rolleyes:

I really like Powers Forge like everyone said. It is a strong last name and goes with the trade well. I just have to figure out how to make it have that Ring that people remember. I love the thought of thunder thought but i dont want to sound to gimicy or juvinile. Any thoughts how to tie them together? 

OH you guys are great thanks.

Let it rest for six months or so.  You can ponder on it here and there, but don't dwell deep.  There's no rush, so don't rush.

Work on the totality of the image you want to present to the world.  The web presence is critical, but letterhead, business cards, online photographs.... all these things come together in a synergistic fashion to create an impression of your work in the customer's mind.  People buy the story more than they do the iron doodad, and they like to feel they're part of something neat.  

Learn how to take a good photo that displays your work in the best light.  Work on how you want the business page to look, the general feel of things, and how the photos play with the sites background color and banner.  

Little details make a huge difference, and while you're working on how you present yourself to the world, you can ponder on the name and what you really want to say. 

Steer clear of botching the spelling.  It's "works", not 'werx' or 'werks'!  Bastardizing it doesn't make you tougher, stronger, more capable, sexier or richer.  I make a point of never doing business with a company that does stuff like that simply because I find it too juvenile.  It's like the barbwire tattoo around the bicep.  :rolleyes:

I've always been a woodsy kind of guy, and had adopted the acorn as my touchmark many years ago, ("Tall oaks from little acorns grow" was a favorite expression) but when my son was 3, he kept calling my time at the forge "Anvilling", (are you going anvilling? Dad's anvilling in the garage, etc.) so when I decided on a name I kept it going. and created "Acorn Anvilling"
I thought it was a play on words, like "Dunkin' Donuts" but it ended up being a real word even though it sounds juvinile!

Edited by JimsShip

Let it rest for six months or so.  You can ponder on it here and there, but don't dwell deep.  There's no rush, so don't rush.

Work on the totality of the image you want to present to the world.  The web presence is critical, but letterhead, business cards, online photographs.... all these things come together in a synergistic fashion to create an impression of your work in the customer's mind.  People buy the story more than they do the iron doodad, and they like to feel they're part of something neat.  

Learn how to take a good photo that displays your work in the best light.  Work on how you want the business page to look, the general feel of things, and how the photos play with the sites background color and banner.  

Little details make a huge difference, and while you're working on how you present yourself to the world, you can ponder on the name and what you really want to say. 

Thanks Vaughn T your advice among many is great.... 

Jim, my oldest called my habit of checkin on the animal "counting feet" as horses have an annoing habit of sticking their feet where they dont belong. First thing I do in the morning, last thing I do at night and everytime I come home is walk out, scrach their withers (or buts) and walk around looking at their legs to make sure i sont habe clean and dress a wound. 

As to naming your forge, just don't limit yourself with your name. "Powers knifeworks" would pigenhole you, especialy if you found that making fire irons was your passion, wile "Powers forge" may not be the best for a knife shop, as the modern knife buyer has no clue that knives can be forged. 

I agree that "powers forge" is strong, but it might just be my predgides. Tomas Powers has left a lasting impression on many of us.