I Forge Iron

What is your personal "Where has THIS THING been all my life?!" tool?

I have an addition to your rule of 2s Neil. I have two ladders, one 2' short, the other 2x to long.

Well, now I'm thinking about it. You need: 2x the outlets, 2x the lights, 2x the windows, I'd list it for shop space but it doesn't matter how big the shop is it's too small.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

"two" small?

My magic tool has been knowledge of blacksmithing.  I've made many very simple useful tools in the last 3 and a half years that I either would not have had and sorely been wishing I had something better than the junk available, or would have done without the good tool because it cost too much and I couldn't make it.

As far as a physical tool, I would have to say chain comealongs.  Often times at work I end up with something that looks like a spider web before all is said and done.  The crew I used to be on had 5 of them and it was wonderful.  Now I only have a little 1/2 ton and a couple of chains that are a half step away from scrap.  It takes me three times as long, but still makes impossible jobs a lot more straight forward than nothing.

When cordless drills first came out that was a big one.  I agree with the tractor w/ loader but even further down that line are fork lift tines for the loader.  And then one of my all time favorites is the palm nailer, they have saved my fingers untold grief installing hangers..  

Over the years, there have been many tools, Stick welder, compressor, vice, lathe, bench grinder, angle grinder, etc.........but in recent years one piece of equipment has become absolutely indispensable to me.....

.....my 2x spectacles....!B)

18 minutes ago, KYBOY said:

Hard to decide..Power hammer, 2 x 72 grinder or maybe its the large horizontal bandsaw..being able to cut 12" wide plate steel in a wonderful straight crisp line is a boon..

It sounds like you like power to me. Me too, Frosty LOVE power tools!

Frosty The Lucky.