I Forge Iron

Post apocalyptic themed blades.

neg

I'm a really big fan of post apocalyptic movies or tv shows. I've been making my knives using scrounged materials, trying to make them look like they came out of Mad Max, Book of Eli, or Fallout. None of these are meant to be pretty, I've left them a little rough on purpose for effect. Anyway, here they are. :)

Wasteland_Machete.thumb.jpg.9f5d900cfdf1

This first one's a big heavy machete, made for chopping zombie bits. :P Distressed diamond plate bolster and the scales are an old Kenny Rogers record.

Wasteland_plywood.thumb.jpg.20f4ab2435dc

The handle on this one is plywood, construction paper, and elkhorn. I'd never used plywood on a knife before, but with this style, I thought it worked.

wasteland_knife__by_neg_319-d97nc0w.thum

This one's my favorite, so I decided to keep it for myself. The scales are elkhorn, with a diamondplate rear bolster and copper wire wrap on the front. The blade's 1/4" thick and heavy. I love it, though.

2knives.thumb.jpg.e04f3e5bc5be18a4a62b96

Not exactly a pair, but they look pretty similar. Hickory scales.

wasteland_chopper.thumb.jpg.3a8845ddce43

This one started out as a lawnmower blade, if the star on the end didn't give that away. :P

chameleon_mkIII.thumb.jpg.fa921cd8554912

And the last one, not post apocalyptic-themed at all, just a little knife made as a gift to a friend. Pink and purple micarta with brass pins. :)

You have some great classic profiles disguised with unconventional materials. I especially like the knife you kept for yourself, as well as the one pictured upside down in the picture you described as "not exactly a pair". Outstanding work! How do you achieve the dimpled texture? Ball peen hammer?      Robert

You have some great classic profiles disguised with unconventional materials. I especially like the knife you kept for yourself, as well as the one pictured upside down in the picture you described as "not exactly a pair". Outstanding work! How do you achieve the dimpled texture? Ball peen hammer?      Robert

Yep, ball peen. Just hit it a little harder than I normally would to make it look a little extra rough.

Finished these 3 about a week ago. I liked the little one I gave away, so I made a few more like it.

3_chameleons_500x.thumb.jpg.9b875fda6d8d

Edited by neg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...