I Forge Iron

Coal at local Tractor Supply

Thing is it was very clean burning and we were getting 1/2" mild to welding heat.  It crackles some as it heats and exspandes. We were using an old pump handle blower on a bottom blast brick forge.  Some of the problem with it not coking into mass lumps of coke like you are use to is it has less impurities to burnout.  Which is part of the bituminous stickiness. We stared our forges with coke and pine cones.  

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad this was posted, I had no idea tractor supply had coal. I looked and currently none in the state of Alabama have any in stock of course it's still pretty warm here. I will definitely be talking to the manager of my local store to see if he can order me some. I can't help but wonder if they can order it during the off season. If they could and would that would be a nice easy way for me to keep coal in stock since the nearest place I know is almost an hour drive and only open on weekdays while I'm at work.

• 2 weeks later...

yuck. Don't sound like ideal but to each his own you know,,,,,,,,,,

hard coal that is too large. Just my opinion but I would not take it if it were free. I love the soft coal. About pea size. ideal for forges and my mentality.

Hey, if you want to drive up to Oberlin with a sack of soft coal, I won't say no. I'll even make you dinner.

Hey, if you want to drive up to Oberlin with a sack of soft coal, I won't say no. I'll even make you dinner.

there is much coal just east of here (south for you) in Apple Creek and Mt Eaton. I will be getting some this weekend. If you want a bag of soft coal, it will be 15.00 delivered to you.

if you desire to get it yourself, you need to take Rt 83 south to Wooster and travel East from there a bit.

there is much coal just east of here (south for you) in Apple Creek and Mt Eaton. I will be getting some this weekend. If you want a bag of soft coal, it will be 15.00 delivered to you.

if you desire to get it yourself, you need to take Rt 83 south to Wooster and travel East from there a bit.

Tempting. How big a bag?

Edited by JHCC

• 1 month later...

Technician.Austin,  Thanks a bunch for posting about TS carrying the nut coal. Out here in California you have to beat the farriers to any coal available, at 28$ for 50# bituminous. Had to bite the bullet last time and payed 50$ from centaur forge, ouch.

contacted a TSC in Norco Ca. And it took 2 weeks to get there but I grabbed 4 bags, 160# for 26$ . I never tried Anthracite before but for that price , can't beat it. Your post saved me money and anyone out here, there is a full pallet at the door still,( if I don't steal it first ! Grin ) happy forging y'all 

Well I went out to TS for some rubber mat to put under my wire wheel/ buffer stand, and a piece for in front of my anvil ( I liked it too, way better on the feet then concrete) and I saw they had the coal. I had to try it out so I bought 3 bags.  Have to say I'm happy with the results. Seemed to burn way cleaner then what I've been using tho I did add it to my existing burning coal on the forge so I don't know how hard it would be to get started. 

It comes wet in the bags, don't know if I'm paying for moisture or if they just store it in the elements. Haven't had a chance to weigh the bags. Not a big deal whatsoever. 

The nut size is just what I like so that's a plus. And once it was burning it was nice and hot. I liked it. Might grab a bag here and there and add it to my other coal while forging. And it's deffinatly nice to know they carry it. Thanks for the heads up on it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I finally got some myself. I had to get my local store to special order some and had to wait on it. I ordered a bag of nut and rice size and after three weeks waiting on a phone call I called them instead. I'm unsure if the guy misunderstood me or if they decided to order some after all because they have a whole pallet of each sitting out front now.

i have found it a little difficult to get started but it burns great once it's started. I had to rework my forge a little to deal with the rice size because it was cloggin up my air. Overall I'm pleased with it for the price. The next closest place to get coal is an hour away and the cost is at least double before adding the extra cost associated with the trip.

Well nuts... 

Checked online and it seems that TSC doesn't sell it out here on the "left coast."  :(

I'll stop in at the local and see if they can order it... but I suspect it may not be "green" enough.  Hope I'm wrong!  <_<

4 hours ago, Hardpan said:

Well nuts... 

Checked online and it seems that TSC doesn't sell it out here on the "left coast."  :(

I'll stop in at the local and see if they can order it... but I suspect it may not be "green" enough.  Hope I'm wrong!  <_<

You should be able to get them to order you a couple bags. Being that California is the way it is I couldn't say for sure.

I'll say that have been very pleased with the anthracite I bought. Some of the nut size seems to be a little big, but spiking the mix with a bit of rice gets it to settle nicely and catch well. There is an old corn sheller at my mom's that I think I might repurpose into a coal breaker. We don't deal with grain that isn't packed in a 50lb bag, so it shouldn't be a problem to repurpose it.

With any luck - and a bit of elbow grease - I should be able to resize the enormous chunks that find their way into the TSC coal into manageable, effective fuel. Then again... I may end up destroying an old tool. We will have to see how it goes. The coal is hard, but I think the sheller is up to the task. Better than going through the bag with a tack hammer.

I am just starting out and if I am lucky I may actually get time to fire up my brake drum forge. I do have experience burning coal, living in PA. I have burned coal for almost 30 years. There is a size between rice and nut, it is called pea coal. I don't know if it is available every where. I burn nut coal and the last time I bought it it cost $237 a ton. In order to start a coal fire I have to get a real good wood fire going, and then add about 2 inches of coal at a time. I add about 3 to 4 layers and then I am set for most of the winter. I've got a furnace blower on my forge and will report back as soon as I make my first burn.

New to the forums and the hobby, but seem to be hooked.  Ordered a pallet of this stuff in SE Texas (we don't have coal around here), but if anyone in this area needs some I will gladly sell some at cost if they want to pick it up.  Just drop me a PM.

Doc

7 minutes ago, DocGP said:

New to the forums and the hobby, but seem to be hooked.  Ordered a pallet of this stuff in SE Texas (we don't have coal around here), but if anyone in this area needs some I will gladly sell some at cost if they want to pick it up.  Just drop me a PM.

Doc

If your first post on the forum is an offer of generosity, you'll do fine. Also, if you add your location in your profile, you'll be surprised how many folks in your area will crawl out of the ironwork.

• 1 month later...

Originally I had designed my forge with a shop vac blowing the air. With this, the nut sized anthracite from TSC was pretty good. Nice and hot, but hard to start. Then I got a hand crank blower...it is very difficult to maintain forging heat with this hand crank blower. From what I can tell this anthracite likes constant air. I will try to enlarge the holes that air comes through and see if I can get the hand crank blower to work with the anthracite this way when I get a chance. 

PS pics of large flame is with shop vac powering, not hand crank blower. I know my anvil in the pic is a POS ASO, I have a Trenton now. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

39 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Just google "Donner Party" for the skinny on the white stuff for Californians!     Yes anthracite likes constant air flow it's more like coke that way

IIRC I don't believe the Donner Party were Californians, not even the "guides." I wonder how many folk will thaw out in Cal. this spring?

Frosty The Lucky.