I Forge Iron

Greetings all ... it's been a while since I've posted last.

I remember a few years back, someone had posted a list about the different types of steel you could find on a car or in a junkyard. I'm having trouble finding it on this new site format (looks great by the way). Could someone help me locate it?

Thanks.

Please remember that when you find it that there is no guarantee that those are the actual alloys used.  A manufacturer can change them at whim---I have even run into a low carbon leaf spring before. (OK only 1 in 34 years of smithing; but...)  Some of the values are just wrong to start with.  My favorite example is that many list Jackhammer bits as S7. Probably due to the fact that the alloy list in Machinery's Handbook says that S7 would make great jack hammer bits.  Unfortunately they would cost a lot more and so one gentleman who's career was resharpening bit posted that in over a million bits he had only a handful that were not around 1050.

Hey Sam good to see you again! :)  What you been up to?

Stick around a while you'll find out about the issues in the new format. Oh like not being able to see one of the many MANY times the junkyard ID charts have been posted here. :huh:

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

On 9/14/2015 at 4:59 PM, wpearson said:

Thanks.

On 9/14/2015 at 5:05 PM, Frosty said:

Stick around a while you'll find out about the issues in the new format. Oh like not being able to see one of the many MANY times the junkyard ID charts have been posted here. :huh:

Hi Frosty ... life's been busy.

I know I've been neglecting IFI ... I've missed it, but time has been a scarce commodity lately.

Hopefully things will quiet down soon.

• 4 years later...
On 9/14/2015 at 10:21 AM, Sam Falzone said:

I remember a few years back, someone had posted a list about the different types of steel you could find on a car or in a junkyard. I'm having trouble finding it on this new site format (looks great by the way). Could someone help me locate it?

Consult with some car, junk removal companies, may be they will have that material which  you are needing for any purpose. 

Sam was last here November 18 2015; I don't think he will get your reply.

One thing I have noticed is that buying car parts as a source of steel is much more expensive from a place that is selling car parts as car parts than a place that sells car parts as scrap steel.  I picked up a nice beefy coil spring Saturday morning, made from 7/8" round stock that ran me 20 UScents a pound rather than a set price as a usable car part.

• 2 years later...