I Forge Iron

Scrap or not to scrap

Black Ink

I have some old brass pipe that I pulled from my house I've never really worked with brass so I heated a piece and let it sit for a day.The next day I split a piece and played around with it cold and with some slight heat,and it was just shattering.Is this stuff worthless,should I just scrap it?
TIA
Jason

I've worked with some brass, the bowl pictured in my avatar is brass actually, and you have to heat to red, let cool to pink and then quench, and re-anneal A LOT! It's much more brittle than copper. But depending on the size of the pipe, could be cut into sections and made into nice bracelets or small vases. Have fun :)

Most of the old ones around here used round stock for the tines and they were held together with a wedge. You have probably seen that kind but if needed I can post a pic. Have one hanging on the front of the shop :D. Have a friend in MO who collects them and as I recall most of his were made the same way. Garage door spring would be good stock to use.

Brass pipe, tubing, sheet is usually work-hardened by the manufacturing process and needs to be annealed before you can make anything much out of it, and again, frequently, as you work it thereafter. Otherwise it just crumbles. When you heat it to anneal it and while forging, soldering, brazing, be SURE to have plenty of ventilation and stay away from inhaling the fumes. Toxic.