I Forge Iron

Oregon Store Closing

UPDATE:

John Turkingtons store Farrier supply in Monroe Oregon is NOT closing. The shop is alive still and is open 8-5 mon-sat There is Plenty of coal and Coke and Blacksmith supplies to be had even anvils.  The family has taken over the business, and his granddaughter is working in the shop,

I thought I would post since I know a few other Oregonians post here. If you haven't heard, Monroe Farrier Supplies is closing shop. They are selling out their inventory at around 40% off now (except coal). I went there this weekend and picked up a rounding hammer, butchers brushes, some H13 blanks, and a little coal.

I think the owner still plans to sell coal (not on sale) and was talking about having classes in the future. I was a little sad to find out they are closing. It was really the first time I had gone up there.

I go to John Turkington in Monroe for my main supply of coal. Farrier supply has been in the area for many many years and was once located just up the road from me here in Fall Creek. I am really sad to hear he is closing shop. The last time I was up there buying coal I asked him if he had been working in the forge lately and he told me he hadnt been in there in about a year. I had a feeling then that he may be closing up soon. :(

Thank you so much Mr. Turkington for offering the services to all us smiths and farriers for all these years and for sharing you wealth of knowledge. I wish all the best to you and your wife.

Chris

Yea, I was sad I had only just gone to it. I knew it was there and had driven by it several times, but hadn't set aside the time to go. Mr. Turkington sure was an interesting fellow. And at 80, I don't blame him for retiring. Although he looked like he was still relatively full of xxxx and vinegar :) He said that he had more stuff to keep up with then time, and wanted to spend more time with his wife. Can't blame him.

I talked to John recently while there on a coal run and received the same info. He said he will still sell coal and hopes to give classes. He said his classes last five weeks and include a lot of forge welding. He is a very interesting guy with a lot of experience. Hopefully he'll be around quite awhile longer to impartmore of his knowledge.

Whoa... You really scared me for a minute there. I wonder if I shouldn't go get a ton or two of the 'ol Elkhorn just in case he changes his mind? I will be real sad when I can't get the good stuff locally any more. It may be worth driving up there to get a swage block from him too if you guys haven't already sniped them all. Seems like when I was up there last year about this time he had two sizes.

There was a small swage block there when I was there this weekend. I took a second look at it :) There were also a lot of anvils. All JHM I think.. Anyway, if those end up at 40% off, there might be some real good deals for brand new anvils..

If I get back up there again, I think I'll snag a flatter. I haven't burned any of the Elkhorn yet, but it looks nice.

I have used the Elkhorn coal for awhile now. We also use it at Ft. Vancouver and it's very clean burning. We go through a ton in a month and a half or so. For those used to eastern prices the coal costs $22.50 for a 50lb. bag.

• 8 years later...

I know that this is a very old thread but i wanted to Clear the air About John Turkingtons store Farrier supply in Monroe Oregon! The shop is alive still and is open 8-5 mon-sat There is Plenty of coal and Coke and Blacksmith supplies to be had even anvils.  The store is NOT closing. At the time of this thread started John's Wife had Parkinsons and he was looking at selling off the shop. This is no longer the case his Step Daughter is managing the shop and My Wife ( his granddaughter is working in the shop) I am working out back in the weekends in the forge and we are starting out first of a series of classes June 25th 2016. I will be teaching with John on hand to correct me ;-) or back me up for help!

Come on down and see us!

Peter Newman

Great to hear that. I'm all the way across the country from you, but it's always nice to hear when a place like this stays open despite adversity. Hope you stay open for many more years to come!

Steve