I Forge Iron

Tools From Old Bolts-Flatter and Mushroom Stake

I kicked up a few of these old square bolts and other junk a few weeks ago.

JUNKBOLTS.jpg

One of these looked like it would be a good flatter, so I tried to make one.

flatterpost2.jpg 

Its a non handled version, a little on the small side but it works for what I needed. After I made it someone brought it to my attention that I should have forge welded it. I'm such a failure at forge welding I didn't even think about it. But maybe if I make another one.

Video'd making it for kicks, basically just me wailing on it with a sledge hammer. I do try it on a knife blade at about 3:48.

Another one of them was a domed bolt with "R S C" on it. I was told it might have something to do with the rail road. I used the suggestion I got here and soaked it in water for about 3 weeks. The rust came of pretty easy.

IMG_20150828_091243.jpg

Hit it with a couple of flap discs. Not polished but it was getting close to eatin time, I might buff it up more later. Thought it might come in handy for something as a stake or hardy tool. It has to be close to 2" across.

IMG_20150828_101552.jpg

Been a while since I was able to get out to the shop, had a good time.

Your flatter is just right for a "set hammer". You can drill a hole slightly smaller than the bolt shank after you shine it up good. Flux the hole lightly to prevent scaling and heat it till it slips over the COLD bolt for an interference fit. Use a torch to heat the bolt and pein it down and you have a nice heavy duty set hammer.

Of course if you were to take it a step farther. (Why I'd shine the bolt shank and flux them both to prevent scaling) You could bring the whole unit to welding temp THEN pein the bolt end and using V swages weld it into a solid unit. That would make it easy to slit and drift for a handle.

Hmmmm?

Next time you want to soak rust to remove it try adding some Naval Jelly, say up to 10%-15% of the soak water. You'll be surprised how well it turns rust back into steel/iron. Rinse it immediately after taking it out of the soak, neitralize with baking soda and rinse again. protect it with a swipe from an oily rag or it'll rust immediately.

Nice salvage stuff, I like big bolts.

Frosty The Lucky.

Your flatter is just right for a "set hammer". You can drill a hole slightly smaller than the bolt shank after you shine it up good. Flux the hole lightly to prevent scaling and heat it till it slips over the COLD bolt for an interference fit. Use a torch to heat the bolt and pein it down and you have a nice heavy duty set hammer.

Of course if you were to take it a step farther. (Why I'd shine the bolt shank and flux them both to prevent scaling) You could bring the whole unit to welding temp THEN pein the bolt end and using V swages weld it into a solid unit. That would make it easy to slit and drift for a handle.

Hmmmm?

Next time you want to soak rust to remove it try adding some Naval Jelly, say up to 10%-15% of the soak water. You'll be surprised how well it turns rust back into steel/iron. Rinse it immediately after taking it out of the soak, neitralize with baking soda and rinse again. protect it with a swipe from an oily rag or it'll rust immediately.

Nice salvage stuff, I like big bolts.

Frosty The Lucky.

i had a thought about trying to put a handle on it. Thanks for the idea.

Good job mate, I used a square head bolt to make a nail header.

thanks. I bet it made a good nail header. I've been wanting to make one of those myself.

I don't know why this immediately popped into my mind as soo as I read your comment all I could hear was this song wit the word Bolt substituted for butt..lol

I see the association, I don't listen to rap or I might've said something else. As it is I'm sorry you'll NEVER get the RAP out of your mind. I LIKE BIG BOLTS will be running in an endless loop through your mind probably for days at a time. I sincerely regret that every time you hear the tune Baby Got Bolts or even just see a bolt, nut even a washer the whole thing will come back with a vengeance. You won't even be able to work the action on a rifle without remembering the rap I sure hope you don't spook too much game humming Baby Got Bolts. It'd be a shame, nobody will want to go hunting with you people at the rifle range will look at you funny.

Heck, someday you'll be an old gipper rocking in your easy chair with the great grand kids gathered around to listen to the oft repeated story about Big Bolts. I'm sure they will have heard of rap in ancient history but you'll be able to tell them what it was like.

I'm REALLY sorry about that, I am honest. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

I make dishing hammers from the domed headed RR bolts.  Use a slitter and a drift to make the eye for the handle.  I like to put the eye way back in the threaded section and then curve the bolt so that it follows the natural swing arc and hits dead on---good for deep dishing!  You can also use them for tooling for a screwpress.

I make dishing hammers from the domed headed RR bolts.  Use a slitter and a drift to make the eye for the handle.  I like to put the eye way back in the threaded section and then curve the bolt so that it follows the natural swing arc and hits dead on---good for deep dishing!  You can also use them for tooling for a screwpress.

That sounds like a good idea. I will have to go kick around where I found these an see if there are anymore. Do you know what kind of steel those bolts are made out of?

I'd love to have a screw press, or any kind of press :)