Sam Salvati

NEW FORGE! I got it broken in now pretty good

Here is some shots of the new forge i built up and running. Not the first fire, she is pretty well broken in now and working great! I have yet to open it up to it's maximum heat yet, no need, but i feel heating up 4 inch square would be no problem in it(that's a BIG billet:D). I have worked out a bunch of the quirks so far, and got the forge running with 1/2 less coal than i did when i started to use it so it runs pretty efficient now. Also got the supports for the legs, act double as a tong rack, they go all around the whole forge, made from 1/4 thick by 1 inch wide mild. The lip around the forge is 1/4 thick 4 inch wide, top table is 1/4 thick, 3 foot wide by 4 and 1/2 feet long. Holds a 50 pound bag of coal right on the deck ready to be shoveled on, no bending to shovel from a coal bin or scoop from a bucket. Here's the pictures.

4438.attach

4439.attach

4440.attach

4441.attach

4442.attach

4443.attach

4444.attach

4445.attach

4446.attach

Great looking forge, I've never worked from a coal forge. I've done all my learning and personal hammering from gas forges. I'll have to check into the availability and cost of coal compared to propane.

Looks good, Sam. How are you controlling the air flow-air gate, rheostat or damper? Couldn't tell on the pics.

I like the firepot and ash dump setup. So when are we going to see the SS marked firepot castings on the market? I'd buy it, if available.:D

Forge on, brother!

aaron

Thanks guys! Larry, while coal is a great heat source, quite romantic, gas is much easier. Coal is great for one of a kind things, while gas is good for production work. I highly recommend to anyone to try and learn and use coal for a little while atleast.

Aaron, it is controlled by a damper on the blower itself, but i can cut the forge RIGHT DOWN to idle(only a tiny bit of air) by opening the ash dump. You'll notice it has the ring on the end, i use a hook to hang it on the clinker breaker connecting rod to hold the forge at idle while i am away. Thanks, i would be happy to make a firepot for anyone interested, i would love to have some like mine cast out, but i like the welded style.

Thanks guys, i am really loveing the pleasure of having a nice big fullsize forge to play with, the possibilities are endless now! I wanna try to forge weld 2 inch square to 2 inch square:D.

Nice looking forge. What kind of welds did you use for it? Is that a big sword in the process of being forged? Like your setup, and looks as if it will last you a long time. Can't wait to see your forge weld of a 2x2 to a 2x2.