I Forge Iron

Finding workshop space to rent?

Hi guys, 

I'd like to expand into a real workshop and frankly I haven't got a scooby on where to begin. I'm on the Wirral, I've done numerous searches but haven't come across many affordable industrial units for rent. 

Any suggestions of of where to start asking around for somewhere to set up shop? Farms? I don't know any of local smiths which doesn't help. 

Any advice appreciated. 

Andy

This is quite timely for me because I've been looking for a new workshop since last November. I've had 2 places lined up for several months, both of which fell through, now I'm on my 3rd prospect which fingers crossed is going to work out.

I reckon if I was giving advise to myself in hindsight I'd say save yourself a load of hassle and just go down the farm route. (Even better if you can get a spot on farm that has a farm shop for sake of the word of mouth). Industrial units are very dear, they are in my neck of the woods anyway and at the end of the day all you want is a place to smash some metal about and not get burgled. Farms will be cheaper in rent and tend to be 3 phase.

Regardless of where you end up you probably won't pay business rates anyway due to your workshop size and rent amount, but the good thing about farms is that as it's an agricultural location the council might stick their nose in a bit less. Down where I am there's a buyer's group called Southern Farmers, (cheaper steel if you're a member), I expect you'll have something similar in your area, they'll have some kinda newsletter which might be worth sticking an ad in.

Edited by Joel OF

Wear shin pads if you go knocking on farmer's doors, border collies can be quite zealous guard dogs. You might also want to try commercial agents and agricultural agents. You've probably got a nearby agent that runs agricultural auctions, they're the sort of well connected people that are worth giving a shout.

Separately, boat yards might also be worth a bash.

Any museums or old workshops around like touristy ones that would also welcome the traffic that you bring 

was walking around a town only 10 minutes from here last weekend and came across this 

I'm sure they would love to have someone in there using it rather than how it is now 

fergy

image_zpshqq9t0lr.jpg

image_zpscrtwftrv.jpg

image_zpsqmfu5pdy.jpg

Edited by fergy

• 2 weeks later...

country estates usually have farm based units to let, I found my place via another sculptor, so ask around arty types. 

Give this a try.

Any big country house that's open to the public will probably have some outbuildings to rent, and chances are that even if they don't they can give you the number of a local commercial managing agent who might be worth a try. Finding a workshop ain't easy, stick with it.

Gumtree? Loot?

Depending on where you live, go down to that skanky end of town where all the mechanics and chop-shops are and ask around. I used to have a workshop in such a place, pretty cheap.

Where I live now there are quite a few rural industrial parks/trading estates, collections of old farm buildings and newer units. I never knew thay had such things in the country.

The trick is to ask around because people in such places quite often do a lot of hopping from one unit to another as people move away, expand, go bust etc. so it's good to speak to tenants who might know of units which will soon be coming up empty. 

My search criteria was pretty much:

Easy access, flat hard floor (or at least partly flat), no residential neighbours, electricity, double doors, toilet, somewhere relatively easy for clients to find, not a million miles from coal merchant/BOC/blast cleaners etc. Took me a while but I found it, and it's got the added bonus of only being 10 mins from a variety of tools & fixings shops & the small steel yard I use for odds and ends.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have come back to farming - but am a in Carms so not much use to you, a pity because I have all the kit and could do with the cash.

I suggest that if you want to get space in someone's outbuildings you have two routes that may offer more success than others.

First, try posting what you want on thefarmingforum.co.uk, do it in the agricultural matters thread, because everybody reads that. If you want, I could post on your behalf - I'm known on there so it may get a better response, if you want this PM me your contact details and I'll 'phone you.

Secondly, find out where your nearest agricultural merchants / suppliers are e.g. Wynnstay and put up at least an A4 size add' on their notice boards. Make it stand out!

Just turning up at the gate isn't going to please most farmers, this is (a) because we are always very busy and, (b) we have so much stuff that can 'go missing' we are always suspicious of people - no insult intended to you, but there a lot of dodgy types around.

Good luck.

Edited by GNJC
spelling

Hello,

I have come back to farming - but am a in Carms so not much use to you, a pity because I have all the kit and could do with the cash.

I suggest that if you want to get space in someone's outbuildings you have two routes that may offer more success than others.

First, try posting what you want on thefarmingforum.co.uk, do it in the agricultural matters thread, because everybody reads that. If you want, I could post on your behalf - I'm known on there so it may get a better response, if you want this PM me your contact details and I'll 'phone you.

Secondly, find out where your nearest agricultural merchants / suppliers are e.g. Wynnstay and put up at least an A4 size add' on their notice boards. Make it stand out!

Just turning up at the gate isn't going to please most farmers, this is (a) because we are always very busy and, (b) we have so much stuff that can 'go missing' we are always suspicious of people - no insult intended to you, but there a lot of dodgy types around.

Good luck.

Hi GNJC, that is a very kind offer indeed. I would be very grateful if you would be kind enough to post a thread about it on my behalf. I'll likely join the forum too as to make it easier anyone does need to get in touch. 

I know what you mean about just turning up at the door, I can assure you it feels very awkward when you do it. I've only spoken to a couple of farmers so far, both were helpful but unable to provide any space sadly. 

I also discovered a local smith who was a very nice chap, he couldn't help on the workshop front but pointed me in the direction of an estate whom I'm waiting to hear back from. 

All the best 

Andy

A further option which may be worth exploring......

Often the local authority may have some industrial units available at "competative" rates to promote local fledgling business. The local one to me not only has a collection of small businesses, but a recreational and educational centre on the same plot.So plenty of incidental and passing trade options. It certainly worth a quick google and enquiring phone call.