I Forge Iron

Do you call this clinker?

GottMitUns

I built and ran a side draft forge this week burning construction scrap in Nicaragua.  I am used to burning charcoal and expected to have to burn a lot more wood than charcoal by volume but I didn't expect this.

IMG_1977.thumb.JPG.73eab0b2c98cce77f1598

IMG_1978.MOV

I had to rake out about a baseball size chunk of this stuff every hour to keep the tweir pipe open.

the construction scraps were growing tree 2-3 weeks before and all of it was coated with a thin layer of mud/dirt

Every so often I would get some on the steel I was working and it acted like hot glass.

So is it clinker, or is that term only for coal and coke?

Sure looks like clinker to me.  Gotta say, that's the first time of heard of this problem being associated with something other than coal, not that that's saying a whole lot.  Did you have a hard time forge welding in that fire?  Clinker will cause that problem as well.

Sure is, clinker is melted dirt and scale that collects at the bottom of the fire unless it sticks to the work. Any fire that gets hot enough to fuse silica will make clinker given a chance, just try putting a SMALL dirt clod in a gas forge sometime.

Frosty The Lucky.

I dont usually burn wood directly in the forge, i make a fire a suitable distance away and use a long handled posthole shovel to sneak fresh coals from underneath the burning timber. it works fine if you dont get distracted and turn them to ash.

I dont usually burn wood directly in the forge, i make a fire a suitable distance away and use a long handled posthole shovel to sneak fresh coals from underneath the burning timber. it works fine if you dont get distracted and turn them to ash.

Do you get distracted by the chops(lunch) on the rack above the fire? If so it's understandable.:D