I Forge Iron

My Folding Coal Forge Design

Patrick Kerns

Charles, of course you're correct thanks for your comments. I thought about a number of options for my first forge including welded steel plate firepot, commercial cast iron firepot, and some sort of duck's nest. Brake drum won out for me based on the KISS principle - minimal expense, ease of fabrication, proven history of effectiveness. After it's been up and running for a while I'm sure I'll want to change some things about the forge and will hopefully have cash to upgrade to a commercial cast firepot eventually or the welding skills to fabricate a nice plate firepot.

Edited by Patrick Kerns

Patrick, I think your forge will be just fine.  Get that thing assembled and put 'er to work.  I would suggest making an ash dump of some design (there are all kinds) and dispensing with the pipe cap.  Removing and replacing it will get old fast; and, when the threads start rusting a bit it will be harder to do so.

After about four hours of extremely ill-planned mucking about in my workshop/basement/home gym/storage area I present what is undoubtedly the ugliest thing I've ever made.

THE COMEDY FORGE mark I

20150831_200521.thumb.jpg.4541e304f06a07

The funniest part is that it actually works! It's probably not going to be getting anything to forge welding temp but it will suffice to get me to the goal of "light a fire" by this weekend at which point I will be using a rock as an anvil so I can actually hammer on something.

This "apparatus" probably isn't going to last more than a few forging sessions but it is temporary until I finish overhauling my champion 400 and weld together my forge table.

Also, I'll but putting some bricks under the brake drum so I don't burn up the workbench and will be burning some charcoal in the first few loads until I get to the guild meeting to buy some coal at the end of the month.

Just need to kludge something together out of scrap for the grating inside the drum and it will be ready to fire up.

My only suggestions are: Get a better, preferably non flammable table to set the fire pot in. Then hit the truck parts store and buy an exhaust flap cap that'll slip over the bottom part of the tuyere. Trying to dump the ash by unscrewing the cap is more PITA than it's worth.

Frosty The Lucky.

Patrick, for your grating a cast iron floor drain grating works OK.  Just find one that will cover your tuyere.  You won't be able to weld cast iron to the drum and make it hold (due to cracking), and don't need to...the weight of the drain plus the bulk of the coal/coke/charcoal will keep it down.  Those will last a while, then burn out.  Once you get your welder fixed, you can make a grate out of 1/2" square bar and just drop it down into the drum; that's what I'm using now.  Here's what I came up with (I think I have posted this before somewhere here).

Firepot before steel grate 01.JPG

Firepot grate half inch steel bar.JPG

Firepot with new steel grate 02.JPG

Edited by arkie

Frosty, thanks for the tip on where to find flap caps - also I think I'll take the wood slats off and use some steel to hold up the forge :)

Arkie, I was eyeing some of my square stock with something like this in mind last night, it's nice to see it so well executed!

Edited by Patrick Kerns

Patrick, I went through about 3 of the small cast iron drain grates, but this has lasted longer than all three of them combined.  Of course, it's thicker.  I wish I could find a cast iron grate as thick and the size like the steel one I welded.