I Forge Iron

Hello from Maryland

Patrick Kerns

Hello! I'm starting in on Blacksmithing as a new hobby after several attempts over the years (burned my hand in high school shop using the gas forge). I've signed up to take a beginner class with my local guild - Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland, but the class isn't until October and I'm itching to get started. Have also signed up for a beginning welding class here in Baltimore so I can assembly my forge after than - will be posting some plans in the coal forge section. Big challenge after that is going to be getting something like a starter anvil (probably some railroad track or an excavator pin) and some coal (considering I won't be buying a ton at a time I might have to buy it off a real blacksmith or truck up to The Mill at Bel Air) but hopefully the guys at the guild can give me some pointers.

I live in Baltimore but have a decent backyard where I can do some outdoor smithing, so my forge is going to be designed to fold up so I can carry in into the house (also so I can transport it from the public workshop where I'll be welding it together to my home in the trunk of a four-door sedan).

I've found a good local supplier for the structural steel (Boulevard Sales Corp) I'll need for the forge and can use the plasma cutter and welder at my public workshop, the Baltimore Foundry (once I take the welding class).

So if anyone is looking to sell an anvil or any other random blacksmith tools, or if you have a good local scrap yard to recommend please let me know!

Hello! I'm starting in on Blacksmithing as a new hobby after several attempts over the years (burned my hand in high school shop using the gas forge). I've signed up to take a beginner class with my local guild - Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland, but the class isn't until October and I'm itching to get started. .........

I was going to suggest going to a Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland [BGCM] meeting, but this month's meeting was today.  The next meeting is Sept 27th, starting around 9am.   At a meeting, if you join the guild, you can then ask most of the experienced folks to help you at one of the forges at the blacksmithing school, to get started.  Us old farts are happy to help.   You can also purchase bags of coal at guild meetings after you join,.... at the membership discount price. 

As an added incentive Patrick K. if you come to the BGCM meeting and join the guild by filling out the membership form and paying your dues, on September 27th, 2015,... I will gift you a signed copy of my book.         If you join that day and I am not there, then Private Message [PM] me that you were there, and paid your membership dues, and I will mail you a signed/gift copy of my book.

http://www.bgcmonline.org/index.php?calendar&year=2015#123

Best wishes,

Dave Einhorn