I Forge Iron

ID on drill press

I have this drill press that now needs some TLC,  it has been in use for many a year and we have 'lost' all the gear markings etc. In the past it was used for a multiple of tasks

WIN_20150815_142441.JPG

WIN_20150815_142450.JPG

WIN_20150815_142458.JPG

These included thread tapping etc. All those that regularly used it are no longer working for me and I would like to start utilizing it more. Does anyone have one similar or can you identify it?

WIN_20150815_142509.JPG

WIN_20150815_142529.JPG

Is that an auto feed? The head raises and lowers on a rack and pinion without turning? Does the table turn or just raise and lower? That's a gear head yes? She's an industrial power house drill press.

I can't guess at the maker but I'd love to have it in my shop.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, it's supposedly able to do just about cook breakfast :D as well. However without the info on all the levers? I might get my 'eggs' stewed;)  it certainly doesn't struggle with a 1/4" hole through balsa?? It is one of 7 different drill presses in the shop. One the wall rack you can just about see some of the vices that I use on them. 

It's hard to read plate but it looks like the columns are by metal: Fe, Fe leg, FeC, Cu, Cu leg, Al leg and I can't read the last. The levers above it look to be rpm and feed rate adjustments.  That drill would probably have more trouble drilling 1/4" through balsa than drilling 1" through high carbon steel. That'd be the "Fe C" on the chart.

Nice selections of vises, I only have the one 2 axis drill vise. 7 drill presses? What do you guys do in that shop? Besides making holes that is.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I have 'lost' 3(all gearbox type) of the original 10 , I got a job (many years ago, when I had 30 employees) that required a few hundred thousand 6mm holes through 12mm 3cr12 stainless steel, just couldn't get enough machines at the time:D Back in the day I had a really big setup, I hate to get rid of kit(even though I'm steadily getting there) sadly;) now my "retirement shop" 600+sqm is packed 'chock a block ' with stuff.

I can't read the plate very well, can you take a sharper/less jpegged photo please Ian?

The one with the plate on the bottom of the image is sharp but not enough showing...

Not that I know anything about the likely provenance of the drill but I would like to see the the little diagrams on the left. Just nosey.

Alan

Sure thing Alan, nosey is good, useful info is however preferred ;), it'll only be in a couple of days though as my dearest beloved flew up to spend the weekend and I decided to drive back with her and spend the week together!