I Forge Iron

Rustic light fixture

jwilson645

My wife's co-worker asked me about making some light fixtures for his cabin. He showed me a picture of the idea he had and it was a little more industrial than rustic, I thought, so I put my own spin on it. This is just a sample and is just bare steel. The finished product will have the base treated to a solution to make it rust and then clear coated. The twisted square bar will stay as is.

Base is 10g sheet that I folded and welded the corners. The bar is 1/2" square that I upset, flattened and punched the end.

The last picture is the example he showed me. You can see how the light will hang.

IMG_20150809_100558_zpsg5ud9uxw.jpg

IMG_20150809_100646_zpsm63xqc1p.jpg

IMG_20150810_081051_zpsycd8teue.jpg

IMG_20150810_081755_zpseztfzeuv.jpg

light_zpsyqxzfmmr.jpg

Edited by jwilson645

that is not legal, cant suspend the lamp by the electric wire, need strain relief and grounding, it can get some one killed ya-da blah blah... I had this argument before, and it didnt end well, so I wont bother trying to teach here again, I know most dont care until after the electrocution.   Hope you have a good lawyer and insurance.

Not bad, Josh. I haven't got up the nerve to try making light fixtures yet, maybe once I learn how to quit obsessing over my little mistakes that only I can see. :)

Not to start anythin guys but did you read the last line right before the first picture?

The last picture is the example he showed me. You can see how the light will hang.

Weld an earth bolt inside base, then you have made allowances for an earth, up to him to get a sparky to run an earth to it. Not saying this is enough to meet the manufacturing requirements of where you are. (Enter a whole new ugly world). gromet idea is good too. Nice job BTW

There will definitely be a grommet where the cord passes through. There is no connection to the fixture itself. The base will hang on the wall and the cord simply passes through and hangs through the loop.

I assume when ya'll mention an "earth bolt" you're referring to a ground? I can't see how that would be needed since there is no electrical inside the base. Please explain.

Edited by jwilson645

Assume the insulation on the cord to the light gets frayed or otherwise damaged. The wire within gets to touch the metal of the fixture making the entire thing live.

If the fixture is connected to earth then there will be a massive current surge, the fuse blows and the user has to replace the cord.

If there isn't a earth then the metal waits around for something to ground it which could include someone touching the fixture in which case the mains current passes through them to ground and then the fuse melts after they are nice and toasty.

Gotcha.....thanks for the explanation. I will re-think this and discuss it with the customer.

that is not legal, cant suspend the lamp by the electric wire, need strain relief and grounding, it can get some one killed ya-da blah blah... I had this argument before, and it didnt end well, so I wont bother trying to teach here again, I know most dont care until after the electrocution.   Hope you have a good lawyer and insurance.

I know you deal with a lot of crap and stupid people moderating this board but maybe you should take a vacation if you're going to be so grumpy and snide. Have a beverage and get some rest and quiet. B)

I'm accepting of your input. You made points that I hadn't thought about. I will bring these to the attention of the customer. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Edited by jwilson645

Rules maybe a lot more relaxed if cabin is on 12dc.

Voltage is only part of the problem, what's really the problem is the amperage. 12v car batteries have been known to cause some damage because they have high amps and laugh if you want I heard of a guy getting killed by the little bit of power in an ohm meter (he was testing his internal resistance, not kidding).

Edited by M Cochran

If you want to make and sell light fixtures in the USA perhaps you should read about the requirements of UL listing, it was a very hot topic at the time.   http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/33318-question-on-running-wires-along-steel/  

So hot that the last few posts have been hidden from public view because they got very rude.  Something to think about before offering licensed services with out the needed licensing.

Following along here and wondered if a lamp that I made from a transmission could get me in trouble if I decided to sell it.  I purchased a UL lamp kit from HD and assumed it to be safe.  For now I just plan on keeping it.

transmission lamp.jpg

Edited by Dan C

Looks like your simply praducing a bracket, with no electrical components

This was my thought as well.

While the example in the photo IS somewhat questionable, ... hanging fixtures, with an ornamental chain as "strain relief", are commonplace.