I Forge Iron

AMT standing drill press

I was approached on Saturday evening by a friend of mine, He asked me if I needed a standing drill press. (who would say no to that? I'm still confused on why he didn't want it) And of course I said yes. As it turns out his father had passed away and he and his brother had finally started cleaning out his shop. Well his brother already had a standing drill press, and he says his bench top press is all he needs. So now I'm the proud owner of an AMT 3/4 HP 12 speed free standing drill press.

I know nothing about AMT, and my internet searching has only managed to find me 1 of the same model that used to be for sale, and the rest are all older model presses.

If anyone can give me an idea of the quality of this press (it's gotta be 20+ yrs old) and where I might be able to find some information or a manual for one that would be great. if not, thanks for reading.

Edited by ThorsHammer82

American Machine and Tool is a big company, been building stuff for a long time. Have you checked their site? They offer manuals but yours may be too dated. If so look up the Patent #.

In general though unless you're ordering parts it's just a 12 speed drill press. What do you want to know about drill presses?

Speaking of dated, does it have a quill lock? A handle on the left that locks the quill (feed) up or down. A quill stop is still common but I REALLY miss a quill lock. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

which feed? the spindle or the table? I'm pretty sure there is a threaded pin on both, but I think the one on the spindle is a stop, not a lock, though in theory it could be set as a lock.

Also, I've tried finding their website and all I can come up with is a site that sells Jet tools, or an industrial pump site. My googlefu is failing me.

The quill is the part of the drill press that holds the chuck and moves up and down while turning the chuck. A quill lock can be tightened to prevent the quill from moving. There is a stop on the side with the advance handle and this can be set to stop downward movement "Feed" at a preset depth.

A quill lock is extremely valuable for setup. It allows you to lock the bit or a chucked scribe into or nearly into contact with the work allowing you to adjust the work with micrometer precision. You can set and tighten clamps with two hands and minimize shift. Without  a quill lock you have to hold the bit at depth while adjusting the work and tightening a C clamp one handed is a real PITA. Of course once it's clamped down you have to check position, bump it with a light hammer, tighten and check again. Over and over till it's right. It's a long unnecessarily involved process a quill lock solves nicely.

Frosty The Lucky.

The quill is the part of the drill press that holds the chuck and moves up and down while turning the chuck. A quill lock can be tightened to prevent the quill from moving. There is a stop on the side with the advance handle and this can be set to stop downward movement "Feed" at a preset depth.

or you could spin it around and stop upward movement.

I just went out and locked it in the down position with the stop. Preventing upward movement. 

Now I'm going to go back out and let it off because I don't see a point in leaving it down to let dust and crud get onto those parts more than needed.

I'm pretty sure my bench top press will do the same thing.

Okay, the quill lock isn't for storage it's for setting up for precision drilling and is only used during set up. If you never do precision drilling it's a non issue.

The depth stop is a mechanism on the feed handle to STOP the bit at a specified depth. This is a common feature on almost every drill press I've ever seen.

They are two entirely different things.

Frosty The Lucky.

We get that, we're just pointing out that you can use the depth stop, to act the same as a quill stop. to position the work directly under the drill bit for precision drilling.

Just need to make sure you leave enough room after you've stopped it to be able to drill the depth you need. Otherwise, you might as well just set the position with the drill stem up and the table raised to an appropriate height.

but back to the task at hand. Still haven't found anything in regards to a manual or anything like that. I have however found them for sale for anywhere from $100-$250.

I think at this point I'll just use it and go from there.