I Forge Iron

New to blacksmithing in East Tennessee

Blackwolfe

I am brand new to blacksmithing. I am working on building up my tools - hammers, tongs, a vise, and an anvil. So far, I have an old rivet forge that I am working on fixing up and a ball pein hammer. I am looking for any advice on finding the tools of the trade. Which ones do I really need to make knives and small ornamental pieces.

Blackwolfe, I am at the south tip of Big South Fork,  You might want to schedule a time to come over to visit and see my shop.  You may get an idea of what you need, want, etc.  Check out my web-site then give me a call.  All of my contact information is there.  www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.

Edited by WayneCoe

Wayne,

Hate to piggy back on the OP, but I too am new to blacksmithing/bladesmithing and would like to see an existing shop from an experienced smith. I live in North Knoxville, but I am from Deer Lodge and went to school at Sunbright. 

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

Yup, give me a call.  I have one father and his son probably coming this Saturday.  I don't know what time yet.  If we are patient maybe we can get Frosty to drop by too.

Probably not this Saturday but one of these days. I've never been to Tennessee either.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you for the offer. I will be sure to take you up on that when I find some free time during grad school this semester and your schedule coincides.

Thank you for the welcoming. I need to work on my photography skills, as some of the things I have seen in the gallery are wonderful. TN is quite the lovely place, really. Nice weather coming in the next four weeks. 

Brandon

Welcome, Blackwolfe, to the world of blacksmithing.  As you are already learning, many people are always willing to help.  Wayne is a great source of information and a good teacher as well - you are lucky to have him close.  The state of Tennessee has a large blacksmith group, Appalachian Area Chapter of Blacksmiths (AACB), with 50 years of history.  The AACB group in the Knoxville area is the Clinch River Blacksmith Guild.  You can go online to aacblacksmiths.org  and find their contact information and view all upcoming events on the calendar.   

Looking forward to more of your posts on iforgeiron.

Slowpoke