I Forge Iron

green as springtime palouse grass

Kozzy

I moved my whole fabrication shop to the middle of nowhere in the southern palouse area of WA state about 6 years go.  For about 50 years I've itched to do some smithing and had only worked up to a bit of fiddling here and there as time allowed.  The itch never went away.  So here I sit in a metal fabrication with my lathes, welders, cnc mills, and all those goodies of modern times dreaming about banging  hot iron instead.  I seem to be turning into a luddite, slowly learning to hate the CNC forming machines I have to build and similar modern technical metal working.

I'm affiliated with the local agricultural history museum and the local school donated their propane forge in hopes someone could use it:  too expensive for the school to run and school shop is a dying entity anyway.  Since the museum couldn't really use it--their display is primarily a coal forge and that era of stuff--they sold it to me at a price I couldn't refuse because it needs some re-hab and fabrication.  Step 1 to iron whacking.  Then a really good 280 lb anvil fell into my lap.  Step 2 to iron pounding.  This week I literally tripped over a farrier's calking/heading foot vice in a friend's field of cast off junk.  Same with an antique foot pedal 20" grinding wheel/stand in reasonable shape .  It's starting to look like some star alignment wants me to beat on hot metal.  I'll be filling out other smithing niceties and they fall from the sky (looks up in case he needs to duck for cover).  

Here's a link to some of the Museum's smithing goodies..just noticed that the propane forge I now have is in the photos also.  It'll be brought back to life soon.  http://www.co.garfield.wa.us/Garfield County Plow%2C Woodwork%2C %26 Blacksmith Shop  If I get even hack-level good over time, some smithing demonstrations would be something the museum could really use.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  I'm kinda going old-school on the smithing thing and maybe it'll make the new-school of the fabrication shop a bit less stressful.  Time to stare at the computer/solidworks for a while and design a multi-axis cnc wire forming machine for a new part we are making.  You can bet I'll be distracted by the call of the anvil, though.

Koz.

Oh...and hello :-)

Thanks.  That was basically the plan. You only need something that big when you need something that big.  I've been poking around for plans regarding smaller propane forges and have a line on a pretty good old coal forge also.  Just waiting for inspiration...and gumption.

Edited by Kozzy
Darned fingers tend to type what THEY want, not what I want.

Welcome aboard Kozzy, glad to have you. I have a Johnson Appliance 122A gas forge out by the shop. Not planning on using it and wouldn't have bought it if it weren't an all or nothing thing. Still, if you have natural gas and need to heat lots of stock . . .

My father was a metal spinner and machinist who did a lot of stupid precise work for the space program and I grew up with a .0001" tolerance considered slop. By Dad anyway, I took to smithing as a kid to escape that kind of stress. Well, that and I like playing with fire and hitting things.

Beautiful country the Palouse.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning, Kozzy

NWBA = North West Blacksmith Association,  www.blacksmith.org . Their Home Blacksmith Shop is at the Longview Fairgrounds. They have a get together the last Weekend of the Month. They are some of the easiest people to talk to and get to know. I just looked at a map to see where you are casting a shadow. There are a few active members in the Spokane area. Don't be shy, these people are easy to get to know.

Welcome to the place where there is no end. A little knowledge, a little more knowledge, never get too much knowledge, forget some knowledge, Learn a little more, etc.......:D:D

Neil

Koz,  looks like I may be just up the road a ways from you if you are in the Pomeroy area, I live near Dusty  The whole blacksmithing experiance can sure be addictive. Welcome

Chris

Ayup on the locale.  Since you are from this neck of the woods, do you ever do any snake river fishing?  If so, I'd like to poke you for some advice about shore fishing locations.  Need to find a place with good disabled access, reasonable results, and not elbow to elbow California style fishing.

Koz , access is almost always a problem on our area of the snake with it all being backwater behind the dams not much natural access  that isn'r rock slides ect. It all depends on the access needed  really are  we talking wheelchair or limited mobility. There are some less used access areas toward me: Central Ferry is ok for limited mobility  in several areas, willow landing about the same  maybe a bit more for chair access but not alot.

Chris