I Forge Iron

I have a general idea of how pricing and that works with coal. I started forging with charcoal last year for my first few times but then I ran out and thought I was making a good investment with anthracite coal...that was a big mistake im thinking about going back to charcoal but now im hearing about this bituminous coal but I dont know of any suppliers around me should I just go back to charcoal or should I check out this other coal

Question 1: Where are you?  If you put that next to your avatar you might find that someone near you knows where good coal is.

Question 2: What is the price difference between 50 lb bag of charcoal and a 50 lb bag of "Smithin' Coal" or similar bituminous coal.  Find a supplier and then you'll have a good start toward an answer.  If you can't find one, try a local blacksmithing group and see how and where they get theirs, and try some out with their guidance and see if you think it is worth it.  If that fails, stick with charcoal since you're used to it.

Question 3: Clean, hot, & hungry charcoal fire, or slightly messy, more contained, &  pickier coal fire?  Coal has to be coked (the volatiles need cooked out of it around the edge of the firepot)before it is useful for forging(green coal also smokes like crazy if you don't let it coke, like can't see the other side of the room smoke), but it doesn't radiate as much heat at you, and the fire won't spread too far past the tuyere.  There is also the issue of clinker (noncombustible slag) that accumulates down by the tuyere and needs to be cleaned out every couple/few hours (for a bottom blast anyway, also depends on the coal).

Personally, I love the stuff, but it is HARD to get anything good over here in California.  My guild buys it by the ton from Cumberland Elkhorn out of Louisville, KY.  2 ton lasts about a year for 6 forges running 8 hours at least once a week as well as about 10 of us that buy a few bags out of the pile for home use.  The stuff costs more in shipping than the coal itself.  I think only Alaska and Hawai'i have a harder time getting it than us out here, thanks to us being the "cancer" state.

Hope all this helps.

I'd put that in your profile so that it shows up under that cool looking sword of yours.  Otherwise people will ask that question again.

You're a lot closer to coal country than I am.  I'm sure someone has an inside source near you and will pop in here soon.