I Forge Iron

home made smith'n magician

I am trying to make a smith'n magician so far I have a general idea on how I am going to make it. I am going to use leaf spring as the dyes and some sheet steel as a base 2 pieces of angle iron and some round stock will be welded to the angle iron to act as a brace also I have a shank for the hardy hole. I want to make some thing that will get me by until I can afford a factory made one. If some one knows of a better way of doing this please let me know.

Nick O    

Nick: Have you searched this site for "Smithing Magician?" If you haven't gotten hits on those terms try "Guillotine Tool"  There have been detailed instructions for making guillotine tools, dies, etc. If the pics don't open then's time to take it to the general forum and folk will respond. There are probably almost as many good designs as there are guys making them.

You'll get much more positive replies if you do some research first ad no just asking isn't research. I'm not trying to be negative or brush you off, I'm offering real help. Help that isn't about just this question but life in general, if you develop the habit of looking before seeking help it'll really improve your chances of asking good questions, getting good answers and understanding them when they come.

Frosty The Lucky.

oh I searched smithn magician ill have to search for guillotine tool and I was talking to a blacksmith that told me I could use some leaf spring as a dye and I would have to make a frame and thanks for the advice  

Edited by Nick O

I use leaf spring for my dies but there are a lot of different ways to mount them that work.  Some of the things you say you wanted to use are deal killer non-starters, for example. Sheet metal will NOT work for a base. This leads a trained fabricator and occasional instructor to believe you have neither experience nor training building things from steel, seeing as you either think sheet steel is rigid enough or just don't know sheet from plate.

In either case it means we could explain in detail here and you wouldn't know what we were talking about, wasting all our time. I know my guillotine tool is on here somewhere as are a number of others. When I get around to making another I plan on adapting features other guys use. If we just started answering your questions there'd be several different designers telling you what WE like and you wouldn't know how to sift one from another, then we'd get to discussing what we like and why the other guy is an idiot for liking his design EXCEPT for that ONE useful idea. :rolleyes: Just joking about the name calling but we all have our own ideas and without knowing fabrication you could get yourself painted into a corner too easily for words. Been there done that myself, I'd like to save you the pain.

Frosty The Lucky.

There are several designs, H style, C style etc, and several configurations, straight, 45 degree, etc.

A blacksmith suggested the H style and provided instructions. It took two weeks to destroy the design. Version 2 was made from 1/2 inch stock on a 3/8 inch plate. (it was available) It has seen heavy use with no problems.

Like other tools, build the first one and use it. Then build the improved version to fit your needs. (grin)

Edited by Glenn