I Forge Iron

sorry for the bad wording and limited technical vocabulary.

I was trying to ask about how one creates a pattern with damascus steel using the the light and dark metals like shown in the images.

I have made my own damascus steel knife but there was no pattern.

abfold.jpg

th.jpeg

Pattern manipulation is an acquired skill. I don't have it myself but I'd imagine it takes years of practice. It's also worthwhile to note the pattern will depend on several different factors such as size and selection of steel as well as The way you arrange them before you start welding them.

Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Maurice I am not picking on you, just pointing out you lacked the technical descriptive terms to ask,  which also make it hard for us to give an answer...  it is explained in the knife making classes, in pattern welding.

we all understand its hard to look up a info on a  term if you dont know the term...

what alloys did you use and what did you etch it with?

I use mild steel and nickel alloy.

Maurice I am not picking on you, just pointing out you lacked the technical descriptive terms to ask,  which also make it hard for us to give an answer...  it is explained in the knife making classes, in pattern welding.

we all understand its hard to look up a info on a  term if you dont know the term...

I know. Thank you.

Maurice,

Once you have a good weld, then you need to polish to a pretty uniform finish and etch. The choice of etchant makes a huge differance. In the pictures you showed, it looks like some of the components were exposed to either chemical or heat blueing which is a little differnet than an etch. I suggest you take your work, polishing and expose it to temperatures around 500 F just to see if you can get the pattern to show up. You may also need to experiment with chemical etchants. A common one is ferric chloride, but I don't know how much contrast you'll get between mild steel and nickel with that etchant.