I Forge Iron

When there is no striker.

WHat do you hammer slammers do when you need a striker but it's only you.

In other words it's just me on the anvil. I  DO NOT have a power hammer air hammer or anything other then ARMSTRONG. To get my work done.

It's not a big deal until I need a second person for either a striker or tool holder. 

Any tips,tricks or secrets? 

I do mainly blades but I want to start some axes as well.

I'm also pretty well equipped with a 115 hay budden and 3 other smaller anvils, along with a 6 inch post vice and buffalo forge and blower. 

Along with all kinds of other tools not worth mentioning here and now. 

SO what do you stand alone working smiths use for a 2nd person when needing a striker and don't have a power hammer or person to do it?

Rich

ETA: I do not have a power hammer 

Edited by root

I'll often set things up so I can hold the tongs between my legs so I can use both hands, or set up a work stand and clamp the piece on the stand where I need it on the anvil. Then there's always hold downs of various sorts like chain hold downs or doglegs to secure stock to the anvil.

Another option is to build a treadle hammer or drop hammer so your foot can do the work. Invest in a hydraulic press, screw press or arbor press so you apply pressure to the tool fitted in the press and so on.

or you can always find yourself a lackey and train him... LOL

Thanks for the speedy response.

I do have a "lacky" that I hire from time to time for grunt work. He can't read a tape measure but if you want it tore down he's your guy. 

In other words I wouldn't turn him loose in your bathroom with a caulk gun for finish work, but I'd have no problem letting him caulk your roof. 

I do have a few holders that work off of tension in the hardy hole but we are talking 3 + lbs axe heads here, and will need smacked with authority more then once in a row. 

In a certain fashion. 

I be forging historically correct viking axes in the traditional manner. ( if all goes well) 

I still have some tools to build to do it. Mandrels and such but figured I'l ask about a "dead man" while I get the tools made. 

I won't even be getting back on the forge until Sat or Sun. this week to heat treat some blades and possibly start making the tools I need for the axe forgings. 

Rich

Google search smithin' magician / blacksmith's helper.  The 45° C-frame style looks quite handy for a lot of different types of work.  I plan to build one once I get some appropriate scraps from work.

For a  hoot, look up "Blacksmith's third hand" on youtube.  I wouldn't advise trying it hot though.

A strong and willing wife is a great asset.:D

Got the willing wife but she's 110 lbs soaking wet.  The HB anvil weighs more then her.....

I'll look into the other alternatives ....

thanks

Rich

When the sun rises I'll see if I can't pull out my foot actuated hold down. I repurposed one of those dog lawn anchors (looks like a dish welded onto a stick).

Until I can post a picture I'll describe it. I cut off the length to fit in my short anvil, curled the end, and then stung a piece of large gauge wire (coat hangar size) through the end. The wire ends in a triangle 2 to 3 inches off the ground. I get my piece hot, throw my foot in the "stirrup", lift up on the convenient bar on top, stick the piece under it, push my boot down like I'm stepping on the piece itself, and hammer away.

The dish shape holds irregular shapes as well as plain stock. You can usually find them at yard sales or flea markets for dirt cheap, and Tractor Supply and Walmart sell them brand new for not much either.

Hope this helps.

Coulle of thoughts, as to the wife, 1 she can hold the tonngs and top tools and you swing, and two, sledges come in 6# and I have mounted a 4# hand sledge with a longer handle. 

One of the IFI gang built some very simple olivers a few years back fome sledge heads. Unfortunantly, even tho I PM'd him and talked about them The "forbiden" deamon is stalking my "in box" and I cant tell you what thread. 

But they were very simple on the lines of chain makers hammers with the twist uf being adjustable hight. 

While marrying a striker is a viable option a simple Oliver type treadle hammer doesn't eat, doesn't want you to take out the garbage but isn't comfy to snuggle at night.

I think I'd just make a simple Oliver type hammer that pivots out of the way when I don't need it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just don't make the wife mad before you get her swingin that big hammer. 

My wife is a Nurse she breaks me she has to fix me or haul me to the Doc, neither does she enjoy as much as telling the other nurses she had been "helping" in the shop.