I Forge Iron

Howdy from El Paso

EPK5

Folks thanks for having me. I went to an event this past Saturday in a local park celebrating cowboy days and the reason I went is because there was supposed to be a blacksmith there. I fancy myself a fledgling blacksmith so I was very interested. I went and found a Mr. Thomas Powers underneath some shade trees in the park and forgot about the rest of the event. My wife took the kids and wandered around while I watched Mr. Powers teach someone some basic blacksmithing. Then he invited me across the rope and I got to embarrass myself in front of an artisan and all the locals that came to watch. I am interested in knife building as well as tool building and hopefully, since Mr. Powers is local to me I might convince him to let me sit at the foot of the master so to speak. Again thanks for having me and I apologize in advance for ignorant questions because I will ask them.

Bob LaSerre

Welcome aboard Bob, glad to have you. Was Thomas wearing a red hat?

You are a lucky guy to have time with Thomas and no, you didn't embarrass yourself at all. We all made whatever mistakes you made, nobody is knowing the craft. If you can get together with him you're going to benefit greatly, I'd love to live close enough to get together once in a while but he lives where it's inhumanly HOT. No fooling, I sweat doing anything when it's hotter than say 65f.

If you start reading the stickies and topics that interest you, this site has more info than a boy could use in a couple few lifetimes.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old post but I will be in El Paso for the next 3 months and I’m looking for a place to get in a fire and do some forging. Researching I have found the Farm and Ranch Heritage Museum in Las Cruces and I may see about demonstrating there but I’d prefer not to have to drive the hour over there. I’d love to meet Mr. Powers if he’d be willing to entertain it. I am currently a Level 2 graduate from Vista Forge and the California Blacksmith Association about to start the Level 3 grill project so I do have some experience. I’d appreciate any advice on finding a hammer-in or a shop with say, an open forge or something. I will ha e my own tools just not an anvil or forge. Thank you again for any help.