I Forge Iron

Good morning all

– My home owners insurance (USA) wants a spark arrestor on the fire place chimney.  Has anyone dealt with this before? Any General guild lines/requirements?  I noticed that Cebelas sells a spark arrestor for your tent stove that is "certified for National Forest use", but no one seems to know what that means regarding requirements or performance criteria.   They seem fairly straight forward, a vertical screen with a top, or a cover similar to a rotisserie cover that vents out the ends.  Any who I thought there must be some official requirements and some one on this form  might know what they are or where to find them–tks grant

Most likely it has a lot to do with being in Colorado with forest fires.  In my part of the east they aren't as a rule required but we use something similar in design to keep the dumb birds, esp.. Bats from getting into the flue pipe.  They are found premade in most good fireplace supply houses or ask a first rate contractor.  As to requirements did you x online for the state epa? 

Grant,  good to see you are still kicking around!!  Here they are just screens and caps.  To fit over the chimney.  You should be able to pick them up at Home Depot, lowes, any hardware store dealing with stove pipe.  

Thanks Mat -it's a 92 year old field stone fireplace and chimney.  I'll post some pictures.  I've got some expanded material lift over from a window well covers project; i'll whip something up.  I thought there might be some science/guildlines out there. -grant

Can't wait to see the picks.  I have never seen any guidelines just simple screens and caps.  Your expanded metal should work just fine.  All the caps I have seen and used are very simple and seem kinda pointless.  But if it makes them happy.

If your home owner's insurance is making the demand making your own might not be a good idea. If a fire occurs the Ins co is going to be looking for ANY excuse to not pay out. Buying a UL approved spark arrestor covers that excuse. You can dress it anyway you'd like so long as you can document it's a UL listed arrestor.

Frosty The Lucky.

document it's a UL listed arrestor

Now we are getting down to it.  I had not thought of UL compliance, i'm headed back to Rye, I'll post some pictures and see if we can integrate; UL, field stone, and rustic bungalow.  I might be nice if is still draws like it has for the last 93 years; it's a cracker.

Edited by Grant

This was sent to me by wpearson; exactly what I was looking for - thanks.

I would think that there should be some reference to this in the Colorado or Pueblo County Code and if I built the arrester to comply with this there should be no problem with the Insurance Company

.http://www.sanramon.ca.gov/bldgrefer/refsparkarrestor.htm