I Forge Iron

A Better Flux.........AntiBorax EZ

Purchased a can of Antiborax EZ.; Not sure if this is better than 20 Mule Team Borax. I apply it at orange heat but it won't melt and flow like Borax will. It leaves a nasty hard coating on the work piece after welding.Can't brush it off well at all. 

What are the concerns for using this Antiborax EZ welding powder? 

Is it intended  for mild steel or higher carbon steel? Can I make welds at a lower temp with this flux powder such as welding high carbon steel? Thanks for any help.  

Well I went over and read what the catalog says about this stuff "EZ Forge Flux adheres to ferrous metals at relatively low heat, and is equally good for lap, split, butt, or jump welding. This flux compound enables the blacksmith to weld tool steel, plow open hearth and Bessemer steel at relatively low temperatures making stronger, smoother welds. The flux’s high percentage of metal (about 40%) facilitates the forge welding process considerably. This family of fluxes can be used with both iron and steel."

Edited by ThomasPowers