I Forge Iron

Beginner Blacksmith

Johnny40

Hi, im a beginner blacksmith, and i wanted to know if it was possible to use a simple 1lb torch head with a hose directly in a 20lb propane tank to heat up a small homemade paint container forge. If not, wich torch and or material should i get to heat it up to the right temperature. Keep in mind that i am a student with really low budget.

Torch that i have : http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31cgyK4N--L._SX466_.jpg

Hose that i will get : http://www.devardiglass.com/hose.JPG

Sorry if i made grammar mistake, im french.

forge.jpg

I tried to heat my forge with a 1lb propane tank WITH the small torch but it wasn't hot enough, around 700-800c.... not enough to forge but i dont know if if just need a new torch OR just try it with a 20lb tank + hose.

i got a hose for my 20lb tank today but i was wondering if i need to also get a regulator and wich torch i should use. I tried to find some detailed video or plan on how to make a propane burner but i can't find any. :(

i got a hose for my 20lb tank today but i was wondering if i need to also get a regulator and wich torch i should use. I tried to find some detailed video or plan on how to make a propane burner but i can't find any. :(

yes you need a good quality adjustable regulator, 0-30psi is typical. And did you search t-burner on here?

A 1/2" t-burner would probably work fine for your paint can forge, especially if you move the burner inlet to the middle.

BTW, the t-burner was invented by the fellow who posted just above you, Frosty.

Edited by LastRonin

Johnny: I had a more thorough reply Forbidden yesterday and forgot to save it first. <sigh>

Search under gas forges, it'll turn up, I didn't post it as plans or instructions just a concept sketch for an old style.

Yesterday I suggested using ceramic blanket refractory to line your forge. Place the burner in the center aimed at an angle rather than directly at the far side. Find a professional plumber's torch like you'd see working on an industrial site, etc.

You can buy a proper propane regulator off the shelf in Alaska for around $25.00 at the Propane distribution show room. Amerigas by name in Wasilla Ak.

I've been working on a newer T burner and MUCH easier construction method but haven't gotten it tweaked nor drawn up. Soon though. Teenylittlemetalguy has making 1/2" T burners honed to a fine science, maybe he has some pics or drawings.

I suppose if you wanted to waste a huge amount of time you could sift through my posts, I've described making the current style a few times. I'd just do it again but I'm a TBI survivor and have enough trouble staying on one track so if I start describing how to make the old version I'll get lost and mix it up with the newer one. I know that sounds evasive but it's how my brain works now.

On the other hand if you get stuck on something I can trouble shoot without confusing myself.

Frosty The Lucky.

could i just get this torch with a regulator ? http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html 

That particular torch is a weed burner and will put too much oxygen in the forge so your work will scale up quickly and not get hot enough. This would be a bad choice.

I'm not finding what I'm thinking of and I just spent a good hour looking at pics online. About the closest I've seen was the Bernzomatic jumbo propane torch but I just not seeing what I was thinking of.

I've been making the things for years and not shopping to buy. I'm probably the wrong guy to be suggesting what to buy. I can spot bad ones but I don't know where the pro models are.

Frosty The Lucky.

You are probably thinking of the professional air propane torches Frosty like the ones from Goss or Turbo Torch. I've never used one with a forge, but I'm quite familiar with them from using them and the air acetylene ones for copper pipe work.

turbotorch.jpg

DSCF9165.jpg

images.jpg

I picked up a Turbo torch at a yard sale a few years ago for a small fraction of new cost and they'll do the job. I surfed through the Goss products too.

I'm thinking the ones I remember were from a few decades ago and long off the market. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

You are probably thinking of the professional air propane torches Frosty like the ones from Goss or Turbo Torch. I've never used one with a forge, but I'm quite familiar with them from using them and the air acetylene ones for copper pipe work.

turbotorch.jpg

DSCF9165.jpg

images.jpg

That looks like what I use

IMG_0551.JPG

Thank you DSW for the reply ! Ive been looking for these turbo torches but they are really expensive and that's a problem =/ im a student on a really low budget.

You never know what you may find used. I bought a big box of tips from a used tool shop for a few air acetylene ones. Also in the box was multiple tips for the propane version. I traded them to a guy who was looking for a few for his propane rig. Now I wished I'd kept one of each size of the duplicates for myself. About 6 months later I came across one of the propane handles with hose and reg dirt cheap at a flea market. Hose probably needs to be replaced but for $20 I couldn't really go wrong.

I've also bought 2 air acetylene rigs off CL at different times. One came with a small MC sized cylinder for $15 with a few different tips, the 2nd I got for "free" when I went to look at a 40 CF B sized acetylene cylinder that was listed at $25. The seller asked if I wanted the torch as well and thru it in as part of the deal. They had more tips, but couldn't locate them as they had possible already been packed up for the move.

So far I've bought 4 B sized cylinders for those torches all from CL and all for less than I can get one of them filled at my local welding supply.

My welding supplier also sells import knock offs of the Air propane rigs at better prices than the brand name rigs. They show the air propane rig with 20 lb cylinder for $129 on sale. I haven't bought propane cylinders for a while, but I'll bet that with out that, you'd be at least $30 less or so.

I don't buy new cylinders, especially for propane. I can usually find one out on trash day when some one is getting rid of a grill, or at my local township building where someone has turned one in as Hazmat since the trash guys won't take them ( the scrappers driving around do though). I'm keeping my eyes open for a 40 lb or larger one. Those are a bit tougher to find. I've got two guys I know who are scrappers keeping their eyes open for me as well.

Partially related, I managed to snag 2 D sized Medical O2 cylinders from the township Hazmat pile this spring as well as another MC acetylene cylinder. Last year I managed to get a 40 cf sized O2 cylinder and passed on a large acetylene cylinder and an old Scott Airpack cylinder. Once when I was down in Va trying to hook up with a guy I was trying to buy a welder/generator from at a Waste Management facility, I could have had my pick of any number of gas cylinders at the turn in location. If I wasn't leaving the back of the truck open at the time planning on the Genny, I'd have grabbed several cylinders for myself or to resell. These things are out there if you know where to look many times.

I like to use searchtempest to browse CL for things. I try to keep the search term fairly general, say "welder" and then sort the list manually to find deals. "torch" is another good generic term I use regularly .

Edited by DSW
spelling

Johnny do NOT buy a weed burner it will ruin more steel than it will heat! I got my TurboTorch at a yard sale for $10.00 but he wouldn't throw in the 20lb bottle. No biggy I have a bunch of 20s. The 40 was a nice find and the two 100lb. bottles were $10.00 for the pair but I had to get them re-certified. Folk were clearing out an OLD mobile home and the tanks were part of the dump run they were hoping to minimize.

Do NOT get in a hurry, patience pays big time. I know you're young and want to get with the program but moving fast has it's price. It's the Time vs. Money thing, if you have the time you don't have the money if you have the money you don't have the time.

Honestly, just start cruising garage, yard, etc. sales, flea markets, swap meets, etc. The stuff is out there it just takes luck or time.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah i really wanted to start this summer but i guess ill have to wait until next year because i live in canada. Thank you very much doe for the reply ! Im happy to get some good advices from people that have been doing this for a while !

Yeah i really wanted to start this summer but i guess ill have to wait until next year because i live in canada. Thank you very much doe for the reply ! Im happy to get some good advices from people that have been doing this for a while !

I know how you feel but life is what gets in the way of our plans. You'll have to wait till next year because your in Canada? Does it close or something? :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.