I Forge Iron

I was going to say centre punch but then saw the little parallel bit on the end. Well, I think it is parallel, when you zoom in it is too pixellated to tell. Do you have a higher resolution image of it?

That could make it a punch for sheet metal., slightly overkill as far as a non-flex or shaft whip goes. It would make a good centre punch for hot marking even if it is not tool steel.

Whatever it is intended for it has not been used yet, all the other tools have...

Strange-ish mix. Some of the other tools look vaguely farrier-ish, shoe turning hammer, cold chisel hot set…I have seen a dolly like the one back left but I can't remember in what context. New handle on the cross pein. No coal dust in the hearth. Is this a museum tableau by any chance? A curators arrangement?…hmmm guess not I have just spotted the gas lighter!

Final guess a countersink. Parallel bit locates in pre made hole, taper driven in to form countersink.

I give up...what is it?

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans

thanks guys for your advise and input,i do intend to use the forge,have used it once before i put in the clay for protection of the base and yes that is a farriers hammer on right ,the dolly on the left rear is a panel beating tool that i want to modify to fit the swage block i have,these tools are just what i have picked up at different times over the last couple of years and its getting hard to get anything much at all.

I think Frank is right to call it a counterpunch.  Some farriers use them or bob punches followed by through punches to create the sockets for horseshoe nails.  Preferring the individually countersunk holes to the creasing system.  I have made punches for those purposes.  

Charles; I know a farrier that punches each hole on all his shoes!  He shoes standard bred horses.  He goes to the shows and puts featherweight aluminum shoes on the horses.  Then he pulls them off and replaces them with very HEAVY shoes handmade from 1" half round stock after the shows!  Helps to get them prancing for the judges!  He uses a fore punch followed by a Pritchel punch for each hole!  Fore punch is the right name... similar to a bob punch though!

The colour makes me think it is made by Vaughans though they haven't trademarked the colour si I couldn't be sure. 

I think theirs is a bit more of a blue colour ….but then I do have a green-blue memory glitch,  the cause of many arguments with my mum about a greeny blue drying up cloth we had. Her memory was invariably proved correct when it was actually in front of us… :) 

Maybe it is their export colour.

Alan

p.s. Just had a look at Vaughans' website and what do you know? The colour of those images is much greener than I remember! Not quite as green as the OP image but definitely not the navy blue I was thinking of!

Didn't see an equivalent tool there though.

p.p.s. Should anybody be remotely interested in my ramblings but….further exploration on Vaughans' site and I think their web designer has managed to get a green colour cast on some of their images (the tongs in the bottom right of the main picture vs those in the tong picture) and that they unsportingly do use a few different colours...

main_picture.thumb.png.24a80ceca87df08b2KIT-BSMITH_BLACKSMITHS_STARTER_KIT.thumb

Edited by Alan Evans

Farriery semantics. Forepunch is the American term for the nailhead countersinking tool. The English introduced their term for the same tool, a stamp or head stamp, which is also used now in the States. The tool normally has a rectangular taper to the business end. In the States, some had an oval taper, especially for gaited show horseshoes. A blacksmiths' bob punch is not too unlike a ball peen shape , but does not need to be always round. It can be oval. As I understand it, a stem punch is a slender rectangular sectioned punch used on thick shoes that have been already forepunched. The stem punch in an intermediate tool, followed by the pritchel.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a good look at this tool yesterday and the head is machine made on a lathe and handle is twisted around the head and arc welded together,the paint is factory,so may be one of those from that factory above.thanks people for your ideas and imput cheers for now.

Is the tip hardened? Does a file skate across or a scriber scratch it?

A lot of the steel handles on the Vaughans' tools have the loop for twist control on the handle so I think it probably isn't one of theirs.

The paint on the working end means that it is unused and also that the thing it was going to be driven into would not worry about paint contamination / transference. I a was idly wondering whether it was not actually a hot working blacksmith tool but something like a pipe flaring punch or giant hollow rivet / fabric eyelet setter.

Alan

Hi Alan,yes its hardened steel ,i would have thought that with the handle being steel rod it may be for hot metal? its a bit of a mystery why its never been used as it would be good for countersinking holes in the likes of hinges.

I got it from a local scrap yard for scrap value at the time, and intend to use it as a counter sink punch.

thanks for your input Alan.