I Forge Iron

Big old chopper

Brad L

Here is my latest take on the kukri. I was trying for a Rick Marchand look (without trying to build a copy) rugged and coarse sort of like it was just dug out of the ground. The blade is 5160 with a heavy etch, wrought iron fittings and cord handle. The cord is soaked in epoxy, I peened the pommel on so its good and solid. 
DSCF8006_zpsweny7fyg.jpg
DSCF7991_zpsexnopdpp.jpg
DSCF8003_zpscpgmjtag.jpg
Here is a close up of the etch
DSCF8010_zps0k1zvhft.jpg
Random handle pics
DSCF8009_zps1fshqr3q.jpg
DSCF8001_zpsxijvgbck.jpg

How did you etch the 5160?  I'm making some 5160 hunters and I love your patina.

I tried so much stuff I'm not 100% sure but bleach seamed to work the best. The key was to soak in bleach then rub with steel wool. I did 20 cycles of bleach then scrub trying to keep the finish even 

Yeah, bleach is a base but do NOT use it to counteract an acid, chlorine gas is one of the byproducts. This is a B-A-D thing!

Chlorine as an etchant would be using it's oxidizing properties. Peroxide is a strong oxidizer and safer if you mix it with other chemicals.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome to the "old cat" club , lol TJ. Don't forget the mild acids in your kitchen, either, vinegar, lemon juice, tomato juice and soda pop are safer around the mini me, how do you think my knives got their patina? Regular kitchen use, lol

Edited by Charles R. Stevens

Yeah, bleach is a base but do NOT use it to counteract an acid, chlorine gas is one of the byproducts. This is a B-A-D thing!

Chlorine as an etchant would be using it's oxidizing properties. Peroxide is a strong oxidizer and safer if you mix it with other chemicals.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you for catching my oversight. I was just remembering the basic chemistry of it. 

I'm not generally a fan of the twine-wrapped handles, but that's a really nice looking piece.  I think adding the middle bit of iron in the handle to accentuate the curve makes the whole thing pop.

Excellent work.

I'm not generally a fan of the twine-wrapped handles, but that's a really nice looking piece.  I think adding the middle bit of iron in the handle to accentuate the curve makes the whole thing pop.

Excellent work.

I should add I was never a big fan of them either until I held one. For a working knife I really like them, better than wood. I should add be careful using chemicals like bleach. I washed the blade with water then wiped it down with alcohol when I was switching chemicals. I don't know enough to advise people on chemicals use so better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the comments guys