I Forge Iron

Advice on forging a hardy cutoff

............one could always buy new steel and jump over/eliminate the exercise of heating, quenching, break-test, file testing, spark testing not to mention the conversation(s) "Rebar is junk". "No it's not" 

I guess it depends on time vs money scenario. Remember, not all the rebar is same. Thus I would wonder if you invest time to thoroughly test it, how much of your test method discoveries transfer to the "next batch" ???

I don't appreciate folks "dropping off" scrap to my door. They think I can use it. No....... They want to clean house and I'm the recipient. 

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot cut I made today.  First one i quench in 10 deg F. oil without warming it.  Opps don't do that!! I'm a noob so dont think it's what a hot cut is supposed to look like.  I've just started.

Over tempered one corner in the forge.  But all in all it turned out ok imo. 

Second set of pictures are the first one i made.  I almost Cried when I heard it pop.....

My Queens Dudly has a wandering long tapper in the hardy.  It's a real pain to make a hardy turn two ways. Material was a very large spring off a semi Trailer.  

20170204_154143.jpg

20170204_153723.jpg

20170204_153621.jpg

20170204_120601.jpg

20170204_120613.jpg

Naw, not a hijack it's just another hardy to be discusses. Nice learning experience, you usually don't see so many mistakes in one post. 

Next time before you forge the cutting profile forge the shank and drive it HOT into the hardy hole in your anvil. Let it air cool and double check for a close but free fit. 

I assume it's a hot hardy and doesn't need to be hardened, normalize when you're finished forging and it'll work fine. Honest it will. B)

Frosty The Lucky.

Haha I know I know.  Mistake should have been my middle name lol 

I did forge the shank first on both of them by forming them hot into the hole but the hardy hole slants off into the anvil and I wanted it to fit tight at least 2 ways. First one did not, second one does and is much better all around. 

I just reread my post and it's hard to follow.   The one I cracked, in heat treat last night was just the first of 3 failed projects.  Ever have one of those days where you should probably just have stayed in bed? Lol.  I was however stoked when I was able to pull the second one off.  It's really the best thing I've forged so far.

As far as heat treating the hot cut, I knew I didn't need to, and it is dangerous to hammers to have it hard. Hmm,.. Guess I just had to do it. Just Like I Had To go though my chisels and punches at work. Reworking, heat treating and tempering them all. Maybe I'll anneal it just for practice now.  

I've only about 30 hours total on the anvil. Prolly many more mistakes in my posts to come.  

I'm much happier with the one I made today. Can turn two ways and it's in one piece hahaaa :)

1486265468737-639367297.jpg

1486265746851-689353907.jpg

And for tonight's mistake those long links go to a 404 message not a picture. 

We learn from our mistakes if I could get the school accredited I'd have multiple phDs. We all have those days and if I'm already out of bed I have a recliner. No matter how something doesn't work you learn a way not to do THAT. However just because it's not good for this use doesn't mean it's not THE PERFECT way to do something else.

It's all good, ALL OF IT.

Frosty The Lucky.

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

And for tonight's mistake those long links go to a 404 message not a picture. 

We learn from our mistakes if I could get the school accredited I'd have multiple phDs. We all have those days and if I'm already out of bed I have a recliner. No matter how something doesn't work you learn a way not to do THAT. However just because it's not good for this use doesn't mean it's not THE PERFECT way to do something else.

It's all good, ALL OF IT.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's very true. I was making a hot-cut top tool a while back, and from pushing myself to complete it quickly, I got into a place where I wasn't thinking clearly and used the wrong quenchant. Result: big ol' crack right down the middle. 

IMG_1437.JPG

Lessons learned: 

1: Don't quench heavy pieces of torsion bar in cold water. 

2 (and more important):  if you're starting to get tired, lose focus, or rush things, SLOW THE (language inappropriate for a family-friendly forum) DOWN!!! Better to lose a little time than to lose all the time, materials, and effort you've invested so far.

Links? Im lost, my pics seem to work on all 3 platform's i have.  All good,

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

Lessons learned: 

1: Don't quench heavy pieces of torsion bar in cold water. 

2 (and more important):  if you're starting to get tired, lose focus, or rush things, SLOW THE (language inappropriate for a family-friendly forum) DOWN!!! Better to lose a little time than to lose all the time, materials, and effort you've invested so far.

I said alot of things friday, i cant post here.  I was already  frustrated before i lit the forge.  I have had one of those weeks.....  Had a mait guy instal a wrong clamp in one of my large chippers, studs broke and it ate it.

Ive never been scared of a piece of machinery quite like i was of that chipper when i ran to the e stop.... 300hp spinning a 9 ton 6' disk with the pto side bearing blown up.  All the wile trying to eat a 3"x5"x32" tool steel clamp.

Needless to say he no longer works for me and im rather depressed.  Some lessons are very painful........ 

One thing I teach new students is that you stop *BEFORE* you make the unrecoverable mistake due to tiredness, loss of focus, hunger, etc. Learning to do this is as important as learning not to hammer on cold high carbon steel or quench high alloy steels in cold water...

Now for my question:  Have you cleaned up the hardy hole in your anvil any?  Especially with modern tooling (old time smiths would have killed for a working die grinder!) you can dress your tools to work better---and an anvil is a tool not an altar!

52 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Now for my question:  Have you cleaned up the hardy hole in your anvil any?  Especially with modern tooling (old time smiths would have killed for a working die grinder!) you can dress your tools to work better---and an anvil is a tool not an altar!

I've been toying with the idea of squaring up my hardy hole -- it's about 3/64" bigger one way than the other.  You encourage me. 

You can see your links because they're on YOUR computer. Try this instead. At the bottom of the text window is a blue button that says choose files  Select it and browse the files on your computer till you find the one you want to include and select it. It will download as a "thumbnail" just below the text window. You can click the + sign or delete. clicking the + symbol will insert it into the body of your text so make sure your curser is where you want the pic. On my machine I make sure I have bank lines both sides of where I want the pic or things get weird. 

Once the pic is inserted in your message clicking on it will allow you to change it's size so it doesn't fill everybody's screen when they take a gander.

Oh, as another prep for uploading pics reducing the file size is a common courtesy so we don't upload major bandwidth hog pics. I just do a "save as" at a reduced size.

I feel one of my main jobs teaching, next to safety is making the student take breaks, keep hydrated and fed and knock off before they get too tired to learn things they should learn. It's a learned skill to recognize when you're getting tired. Starting the day frustrated is a BAD idea unless you're just going to make simple warm up products, nails and S hooks are good sure win frustration busters and useful to boot.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, your cool I like you but dude! I checked on 3 different platforms.  My phone, tablet and laptop all showed the pics.  Logged in or out.  I suggest a large sledge to your console. More than likely that will cause a trip to the store and I know it's a hike but in the long run it will be worth it! 

I can see the picture. It is a total blackness showing very clearly your state of mind when your tool cracked.:unsure: (and I am using a pretty efficient and not very old PC)

My rule is: One missed hit = short break pottering around in the shop putting things in order. Third missed hit means closing for the day - at once!  Even if it seems to be "only a little more and it is finshed"

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

Once the pic is inserted in your message clicking on it will allow you to change it's size so it doesn't fill everybody's screen when they take a gander.

So that's how that works. Well, all my posts with photos are outside the one-hour editing window, but I will keep this in mind for next time. Thanks, Frosty. 

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

"The file you were looking for could not be found"  for the two pictures posted Saturday evening in the same post

running KUBUNTU 14 (IIRC) with regular updates.

No wonder it's "File Not Found". Do they still even publish the Saturday Evening Post?