I Forge Iron

Ring

I did put a liner in it after the starting picture. Near the end of page one.

I think a silversmith would laugh at the way I installed it, but it worked for me. I had the ringt to my size and a liner would make it smaller, so I made a liner the right size and then carefully stretched the ring until I coulld almost slide the liner in. A little heat on the outside and I slid it in with an interference fit, then soldered it in place.

I don't do chemistry much beyond derusting with phosphoric acid and occasional acid etches.

Frosty The Lucky.

A blacksmith buddy of mine tried de-rusting with electrolysis, and ended up stumbling on a really cool way to hyper accelerate the rusting and creating wild textures and the ability to etch designs in steel without all those acids and chemicals.

A blacksmith buddy of mine tried de-rusting with electrolysis, and ended up stumbling on a really cool way to hyper accelerate the rusting and creating wild textures and the ability to etch designs in steel without all those acids and chemicals.

He got the polarity reversed. You can mask and etch some pretty intricate patterns with negative to the work and using the positive on a brush or other various . . . stingers? Basically it's reverse electro polishing.

Nifty and fun.

Frosty The Lucky.