I Forge Iron

refurbish and link to BP0060

AML

Hi all

I am working on getting the critical bits to start this hobby.  Anvil (check); Vise (maybe check!), forge (next).  I was trying to read what I could on refurbishing an old vise and see multiple references to a post BP0060 which is on refurbing a vise, but can't seem to get a live link.  Any technically savvy blacksmith advice appreciated...

The one I got to day for $40 seems like it's in pretty good shape (even some grip left on the inside face of the jaw) but I think the spring needs to be re-worked (need to get that darn forge built/bought) and the movable arm bolt is the wrong size and era.    The result of the latter item is that the front jaw drops - I think there is too much vertical play.  Is there a preferred method for truing that up?  Any advice on the spring.

One other thing is that it appears the bolting plate is a different brand (Smart) than the rest of the unit (Endurance - made in Canada - with a serial number)  though it fits snug.  Wonder if the spring is the wrong one?

vise1.jpg

vise2.jpg

the vise I had with a substantial drop in the front side I heat shrunk and riveted a plug in the original hole in the moving jaw side, filed it smoothed and re-drilled it.  Others have forged the front leg drawing it out just a bit. Others have used a press to adjust the cheeks, ...  If the bolt is undersized try it with a full sized one first.  If the pivoting area is very worn it is possible to drill out all 3 holes to the next size (or more) bolt up. 

Nice looking vise. It isn't uncommon for them to need a little maintenance. The spring is probably fine you rarely open a leg vise that far and if you do you can just pull the jaw out. Of course forging a new spring for your vise is a good early project and you don't have to worry about heat treating it, they don't need to be very strong.

Things like the mounting plate not matching the rest of the vise is no biggy, you're lucky it had one at all. They seem to get lost pretty easily or break and get replaced by something shop made.

Nice score, especially for $40. ca. There's an IFI member who's going slowly crazy trying to find a decent leg vice fore somewhat reasonable and you jump in with a KILLER DEAL. Good o ya.

Frosty The Lucky.

I passed on another one for $60 (Cdn$  -probably about $50 USD) in comparable shape yesterday, too (might still be available).   Shipping would drive that up, but depending on where the other fellow is maybe I can help him out.

As to the spring, from looking at it, I guess it keeps the floating front jaw snug to the bearing ring (not the correct term, I'm sure...but you know what I mean!)  Otherwise the play is sloppy.   A snug spring probably makes one hand operation easier as you're not fiddling to level the jaws.

Today I hope to finish cleaning the garage to make some space and then cut two sections from an 80 year old Elm that sadly came down last year - one for the anvil and one for the vise.   

• 4 years later...