I Forge Iron

Mokume Repousse

• 1 year later...

Always, thank you. It wouldn't bother me if the thread gets derailed...8-)

I have used roofing copper from a local roof supply company and it worked fine. It sometimes needs a little extra elbow grease to clean it up but is typically cheap and easy to get. I ordered some low oxygen (LOHC) copper sheet from Online Metals via the web. It was not cheap but it is really nice to work with. the only failure I have had with it was my own dumb fault. Low Oxygen High Conductivity copper  is way less susceptible to cracking so it is forgiving stuff to forge and seems to weld better in my opinion.  They also had some Cartridge brass sheet. it welds to the copper good. if you are using a kiln set it at 850c, or it is fine in the forge as well. 

I buy fine silver in an ingot and roll it out myself to whatever thickness I want. I have heard you can buy ingots of sterling, but I have never tried that. the fine silver/ copper is a nice easy combo, if you try it after doing copper/ brass be careful as it melts at a much lower temp.  

Good luck with it!

Most hard solders are actually silver with a bit of copper.  Melting points are lower than either copper or silver!  Brass typically contains some zinc which will, IME, create a brittle melting alloy that tends to collapse rather than melting smoothly.  I have made some cool looking pieces with brass and silver... BUT I have such an extremely low rate of success that it seems masochistic to attempt it!

I recommend checking out "Health Hazard Manual for Artists" by Michael Mc Cann.  What follows is paraphrased from his book: If you are buying solder, specify cadmium free, as easy silver solders can contain up to 30% cadmium.  Some of the health risks associated include chemical pneumonia, kidney damage, chronic lung damage, and possibly prostate cancer.  He goes on to say that one person died in'67 from brazing with silver solder containing cadmium.  

Cadmium is what really lowers the melting temperature for these solders so the parent metals don't melt.