I Forge Iron

Why are we left out?

I live in Baldwin County. I started this wonderful obsessio... erm... Hobby, a while back... Then, the AFC website still listed a Bay Forge chapter. I tried emailing the guy listed as forge master and got no response. I met the president of AFC at one of my job sites. Emailed him about joining... No response. I understand there was a falling out with some of the people who were in Bay Forge, but is there any chance a group more local to us on the Gulf Coast might ever start up again?

Ronin, if you'll find me a quiet little cottage on the beach and a decent job I will move there TOMORROW and help ya' out!     :D       Barring that miracle, nope, sorry, I don't know anything about the AFC down that way.  Will you be attending Tannehill this year?  THAT should be a treasure trove of people who could give you info and insight.  

I think it's an across the board thing.  The Tuscaloosa forge hasn't met in years.  I've sent out feelers to see if anyone is interested in restarting them.  None.  The only response I've gotten from my emails was a "not interested".  This attitude is reflected in the big meeting in the fall as well as Batsons, there isn't the attendance there once was.  I'd like to see some interest but right now it just isn't happening.

Ronin, if you'll find me a quiet little cottage on the beach and a decent job I will move there TOMORROW and help ya' out!     :D   

There are plenty of quiet cottages on the various beaches. You just need to be ready to bolt if the owners show up. What is your definition of a decent job? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Try googling fire on the swamp which is a fun weekend in May in Picayune, MS.  It may lead you to the various smiths in the MS gulf coast area.   As for the Tuscaloosa forge group, have you tried heading east to Vulcan forge over at Tannehill?  If the forgemaster there doesn't respond, let me know and I'll wake him up.

Welcome aboard Matthew, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

That sounds like a choice opportunity, too bad my commute would be a little long. You'll get takers I bet.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 months later...

All volunteer run groups seem to have a cyclical nature and transition from the "Old Pharts to the Young Turks" can be quite painful.  On the other hand some groups realize that they need to hand off the group to the next generation and actively mentor people in the mechanics of running the group.

There's also a problem getting folk willing to be officers, once in you're pres. sec. treas. etc. till you stop coming. It has to be a really large membership to maintain continuity over the years. Heck, look how hard ABANA is always looking for people to serve on the board. ABANA changes cyclically too, sometimes significantly.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 5 weeks later...

There's a lot of reasons, I guess, why organizations seem to fizzle.  No 1 might be its a lot of work.

Hey local guys and gals - the offer stands - come on in.

Last R you've got my number, anyone else, chime in / PM me.

Kevin Williamson

May Tower Forge

hot tendral.jpg