I Forge Iron

It's so hot...(how hot is it?)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hottest place I have worked in was one of the dry rooms at the Jelly Belly Candy Co. We had to change out a hydraulic cylinder and it was during a heating phase. Normally the temp would be down some as we did the maintenance on nights, but that night it was up. 160° F instead of the usual 125° . We would work for a few minutes, then grab the tools and get out to cool off and stay hydrated.

I miss west Texas summers. :( Especially in Georgia. Beer should be cheaper, shoulda asked for Dr Pepper.

I'm way late on the metric bit, but I had a train awhile back with engines from Mexico. Had to do a speed conversion chart first siding we got to, and when we got to the yard, they asked for the fuel reading, and had to give it to them in liters. Coulda heard a pin drop over the radio....if it wasn't for the sounds of about a dozen conductors simultaneously giggling from all over the yard.

Then the tower asked what that was in gallons. Told 'em I didn't have my calculator on me as I was tying up handbrakes, plus it would be a rule violation, but if they divided by four it would get them close. Sigh.....

Edited by Nobody Special

The hottest place I have worked in was one of the dry rooms at the Jelly Belly Candy Co. We had to change out a hydraulic cylinder and it was during a heating phase. Normally the temp would be down some as we did the maintenance on nights, but that night it was up. 160° F instead of the usual 125° . We would work for a few minutes, then grab the tools and get out to cool off and stay hydrated.

This kind of reminds me of working on the North slope one winter for a pipe inspection company. Straight temp was running between -60f and -70f with a 25-40 MPH wind so chill factors were well below -130f. The outdoors part of the job was rolling casing or rod into the lift conveyor and keeping it straight as it was feed into the inspection building, it took a minimum two guys. We'd take turns dash out for about 10-15 mins and dash in to stand in front of the Herman Nelson heaters.

We all had gear to stay outside for hours you just couldn't work easily or move fast in it.

Frosty The Lucky.

It's a trick our bodies play on us sometimes. When we'd come in from our turn rolling rod or casing into the lift we'd unzip our parkas and insulated coveralls or start sweating, it was typically around -10f inside but our senses were tuned to stupid cold. The first time I experienced the effect was a shock, I thought the guys were messing with me when they warned me to unzip or get sweaty.  You really don't want to sweat in those conditions.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

I remember working in the Whirlpool factory in Fort Smith during the summer; on the open mezzanine above the ovens to cure the foam insulation.  My step daughter was once complaining that her upstairs bedroom in our house was too hot to survive and I was shivering in it...Amazing what one can become accustomed to.