I Forge Iron

It's so hot...(how hot is it?)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howling southerly winds and sleety rain that cuts right through you. I am a bit of a lizard and hate the cold so I am in four layers of clothing and a wool beanie every time I jump out of the warm tractor cab. Thank goodness for seat heaters, a quick shot of warmth on my back when I jump back in makes a lot of difference.

We started the conversian back in the 80's if i remember right. We were taught metrics in school, and we were on our way pre Reagan. states had a fit about changing the speed limit sighns, the public hated the idea of change in general and it just sorta fell on its face. It was rather interesting to need two sets of tool to wotk on US cars made in the 80's. 

Our military and sciences all use metrics. 

My time in service is the only reason I can get a rough metric distance. I think if I would've stayed longer I'd be better but I did what I felt I needed to do and I got out.

i do plan on teaching my son metric measures so he's not lost like most of us in the States are when someone from elsewhere mentions something be it distance temp etc.

If your children are not being taught metrics in school you should have a talk with the school board. Science, medicine and enginering (and of corse the military) all require metrics. Infact cooking scools, particularly bread and pasteries use metrics. Nothing wrong with a duel system, just teach it. I find I do pretty well in either, conversian is iffy sometimes, but I manage. 

I am in four layers of clothing and a wool beanie every time I jump out of the warm tractor cab.

You know that you are SERIOUSLY RURAL when they are using tractors as 'cabs' :D 

Yahoo, many years ago my youngest brother and I owned a pig farm in 'nice flat maize country' in winter the high water tanks stayed frozen till mid morning , those are days I certainly don't miss! I feel for you mate. 

We started the conversian back in the 80's if i remember right. We were taught metrics in school, and we were on our way pre Reagan. states had a fit about changing the speed limit sighns, the public hated the idea of change in general and it just sorta fell on its face. It was rather interesting to need two sets of tool to wotk on US cars made in the 80's. 

Actually Charles the 1st. Continental Congress decided converting to metric would cause too much confusion so decided we'd stay with what we have. Congress has presented the very same excuse ever since, they say the public isn't smart enough to deal with base 10. I think they have a point, we let our gvt. get away with whatever they like, it's on OUR heads.

Frosty The Lucky.

73f here so far and I've been sweating since it hit 66f. You know you're Alaskan if you use both the car heater and air conditioning on the same day. I had the car air on HIGH just now coming home from the store. Another scorcher in the works!

The upside of it not hitting mid-high 80's and higher humidity is the fires. The Sockeye fire is 90% contained and they're knocking it down. The Card St. fire is close to 40% contained and they're redirecting what air bombers they can to it. Unfortunately there've been a rash of lightning strike fires with something like 85 burning this morning. Hot shot crews and air tankers are concentrating on protecting structures and villages. It's going to be a long summer.

Frosty The Lucky.

The hottest I have personally been in... I probably shouldn't have. In the middle of the day in August here on the Alabama Gulf Coast (several years ago), I crawled into an attic to replace the 164 degree F heat detectors that had activated... just from the sun on the black shingle roof in 100+ F weather.

Years ago we had to finish up the electric and needed to be in the attack, the Thermometer topped out at 150F and it was pegged.  Being in the mid west humidity in the old attic was near 100%.  Before entering we cranked the house A/C unit and disconnected one of the flexi ducts to allow it to blow into the attic to help cool it down while we explained to the home owner what we were doing and why.    After about a half hour the temps dropped below 100F  and we went up to finish the job.

The Idiot home owner turned off the A/C soon shortly after we entered the attic because as he said, it was getting to cold downstairs and he didnt want to waist his A/C.  I would have killed him right there, if I werent borderline heat stroke and needed to be taken to the hospital soon as I got out of the attic.

Edited by Steve Sells