I Forge Iron

It's so hot...(how hot is it?)

Today, got a little work done, couple pairs of tongs (the little one came out a little funny, trying something new.) Messed around with touchmarks, straightened a few feet of coil spring, started on some woodworking tools, drawknife, chisels, etc. 

Finally had to stop. So hot the chickens were laying eggs on their tiptoes.....the extra height didn't hurt the eggs much though, since they were coming out hardboiled. Of course, it didn't seem that weird with the goats giving evaporated milk.  Besides, with the Atlanta humidity, darn catfish kept getting in the way, trying to swim out of the open air and into the quench tank to dry out for a bit...

large.So_hot....jpg.c30e7f40dc0aa37871bd

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

83f right now, hit 87 here yesterday. Don't laugh guys but that's scorching here and worse, we have a couple good size fires burning. The Sockeye fire is about 25-30 miles NW of us and the Card St. fire is on the Kenai Peninsula. This is too reminiscent of the Miller's Reach fire about this time of year in 96. Unlike the Miller's Reach fire the Sockeye fire isn't being driven by 30-40mph winds. Knock on wood it's almost dead calm and the humidity is almost 30%. The Borate bombers from all over the place are starting to get here and there's a pic of one bombing the Card St. fire.

If they can get a few bombers working the Sockeye fire they might be able to pin it against the Susitna river and contain it. The Susitna is BIG braided stream river with nothing flammable but drift for a couple miles across. What breeze there is is pushing the fire at the river anyway so maybe they can get it pinned to the river. One happy note being large lakes are the norm in this area of Alaska and the fire is close enough to several airports set up to charge the borate tanks they ought to be able to hit it hard.

Uh, it's hot enough I'm pretty much in front of the fan by 1:00pm when the sun starts hitting our place well. I got a couple yards of gravel moved into the ex-barn, new dog training building but stopped when that big bright hot yellow thing started shinning on my head.

Frosty The Sweaty.

Hah! It does not get than cool here until after midnight. It was 100F in the shade today, and I don't have any. What I do have is a farm with 10 acres of open field. Sooooo, naturally I was out running the weedeater, digging grass out of the garden beds, etc. for SWMBO.

Even with SPF 50 sunblock applied several times a day my face and neck are burned red, again. But I did wear a hat. So now my bald head looks like a white tip kitchen match.:o

MISERABLY hot down here in 'Bama!  I'm sweating in places I didn't know had sweat pores!  Down here we dash from air conditioned car to air conditioned building and complain about the heat like it's a new thing, not something we all grew up with!  You'd think we'd be used to it by now.... nope. 

Heat is tolerable when there is no humidity. When the humidity is equal to or a greater than the temperature, you are in a whole different kind of hot.  Today is 86*F with 82% humidity, much better than yesterday at 90*F and then a light shower drove the humidity off the scale.

There is a thread on the site about how to stay cool. Well worth reading. 

Grew up just north of Phoenix, and fought wild land fires for the USFS.

but i have noticed the last few years hear in Oklahoma that the first "warm" spell feels like your gonna die! Takes a couple of weeks then your body starts to adapt and humid 90's is t do bad. The problem right now is that with all the rain it has stayed relatively cool but oppressively humid. The horses have grown gills and my toes are starting to web.

All 11 of them Charles?  I was expecting the El Paso TX region to be hotter than Socorro NM, I wasn't expecting it to be more humid!  It helps that now I'm up off the floor of the valley and so the flood irrigating doesn't affect me as much; but my new casita only has a swamp cooler.  Well between it and working the factory floor in the heat I should be toughened up for smithing in it!

The devil owned a house down the street from us, but he went home and rented it out for the summer, "til things cool off."

Getting into the hottest part of the day now....think I'll light the forge! :P (Before I gained weight and slacked off, there was a running saying that reminds me of blacksmiths. "Any idiot can run a marathon; it takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultra....")

We're definitely off to a warm start this year. I work out in the heat and have already lost 10lbs the last couple weeks. We've also had enough sun that my tan has a sunburn. I'll admit I noticed the same as Spanky the other day, I fired my forge up and after about 20 minutes I took my apron off and stepped out of the shop to cool off just to notice it looked like I'd wet my pants front to back. I was a little embarrassed at first but then I thought to myself 'that's just part of playin in fire when it's in the 90's.'

I wouldn't mind it so much if it wasn't so humid. I learned just how much a little humidity can change things when i was in Augusta ga and again in the desert in Iraq. Georgia seemed hotter than here with similar temps at the time and Iraq was hot (triple digits most of the time I was there) but it didn't seem near as bad as here.

spanky, that's why when the sun comes out for spring i pack away my pants. My knees elbows shoulders and everywhere i between sweats in the recent heat. I come home from work sweat dripping and I can't even get a kiss from my wife till I go get a shower or else I hear about how stinky and nasty I am lol.

We have added doo rags to the list of things we sell. In testing now and I can say that when they are covering your eyebrows. there is very little sweat that drips. The whole doo rag does get saturated from sweat. Another advantage is that it covers the bald spot to keep down the sunburn in that area. $10 each delivered in the US.

We are in the final testing of the neck coolers. They show promise.

We test these things so we can report back to you with real information on how it works here for us. Cutting grass, raking hay, putting up hay, cutting fire wood, and of course working at the forge are part of this years testing procedures. One of the side benefits we found while working at the forge, is that your hair is still clean when you take the doo rag off. Wet but clean. I can not advise those with shaved heads, but could speculate.

I use a dew rag, or a bandana (dew rags fit better but are not as versatile) to protect my straw and felt hats from sweat, and prevent sweat from running into my eyes. It indeed protects the thin spot on my head from sunburn when I ditch the hat to shoe ( saw an instructor loose his front teeth to a cow kick with his hat sucked down looking cool)

i personally don't recommend running around 1/2 necked, i work in long sleeves out side, and as often as not In the shop winter and summer, spring and fall are shirt sleeves

When doing work of just about any type, I wear a "Comeaux" brand cap.  I get 'em big enough that I can wear it over the ears, keeping sparks out, as well as keeping the hair out of my face.  

When it's really hot out and I'm not welding, I dunk it and slap it on.  That feels awesome.

The major drawback is that you're pretty much guaranteed to look like goon.