I Forge Iron

The RPG connection, or "blacksmithing, the game"

Man! I can barely contain myself waiting to see what gets decided as the genre/game system. So many possibilities, so many ideas... the population explosion of characters/personalities in my imagination is getting rough...lol. Starting to feel like a Champions (superhero game system) character I had that went by the tag "Legion"... he/she/it had multiple forms/personalities, each with different powers/abilities.... the down-side was that stressful situations would sometimes cause an involuntary shift.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would we choose our own super powers or be assigned?

I can play that, it'd be fun.

Frosty The Lucky.

that would be up to the dm. I have played GURPS supers, Marvel , and Champions. Typically in GURPS and Champions, you choose and build your character using points, of course the DM has to approve the character... With Marvel, it was randomly rolled.

I had to look GURPS up and am waiting for GURPS-lite to download.

Just to toss another bit of mist in the fog I just started reading David Drake's, "Northworld Trilogy" for the first time in I think since before it was in paperback. So far it seems pretty wide open for a campaign/world/genre/?.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty my memory for book trivia and near total inability to remember names is much remarked upon.  You will probably note how I dredged up a cite for rounded edges on anvils from a book I read a decade ago---at least well enough to pull it off the shelf and find it in under 3 minutes...

I see we have a very different definition of trivia. How can an article about rounding edges on an anvil be trivial?

My files got a bit scrambled, I'm a good 60 pages into Northworld and am just starting to remember the story. Stupid tree!

Frosty The Lucky.

I had to look GURPS up and am waiting for GURPS-lite to download.

Just to toss another bit of mist in the fog I just started reading David Drake's, "Northworld Trilogy" for the first time in I think since before it was in paperback. So far it seems pretty wide open for a campaign/world/genre/?.

Frosty The Lucky.

ok... Another series to add to my findit list

I've been on kind of a combat sci fi jag and read a lot of David Weber and John Ringo though it's hard to beat Travis Taylor for hard sci fi. Deb downloaded the "Northworld Trilogy" on our Kindle acct. for next to nothing and I'm getting involved. It reminds me how terrific an author Drake is and I have a shelf full of his books.

The thing that really stinks seeing as I have probably a dozen boxes full of books is I've beaten my hands up so much over the years holding a book open makes my thumbs hurt after a while. <sigh>

Not that that has anything to do with RPGs or what I read I'm just off on a sidetrack. David Drake's "Lord of the Isles" is a terrific series. superbly developed characters a method of handling magic I think pretty intuitively sensible. People CAN learn magic but there are folk with talents who excel in their way.

The more I think about it the more I believe I have a grounding for most any genre RPGs. . . Almost Seriously, if we were to play a Romance Novel genre it'd just be too unfair for words. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

ah!  nearly done Northworld,  first free book I got for my new kobo.  It says I have 2 hrs to go.  Goes a little quicker if your not falling asleep reading it though.  Sure you haven't been in my library Frosty.  Looks like I'll have to check out Taylor

John Ringo and Travis Taylor wrote a killer good collaborative series, "Into the Looking Glass" series. Taylor IS a rocket scientist, literally. He's been keeping Ringo's sci fi scientifically accurate and consistent for a while now. He's a better author than TV star. the "Rocket city Rednecks" series but you could smell the "producer" on it. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

So we have interest, any one besides me have a a game idea the want to GM?

Sorry about the multipe posts, seems snappy one liners are the only way past the Guardian Deamons

Might I recomend CJ Cherryh to the assembly, her Aliens and human cultures are a bit more "alien" than the usual run of the mill

Chanur!

It's been so long since I read C J Cherrryh I had to scan the book list on Google I really only recall "The Peacemaker" but not much about it. No problem though, I can read what I need for background OR just jump in and play.

Getting the gremlins to stop messing with posts would probably make game play smoother. I'm ready to rock and roll. Just let me know what where, etc. so I can bone up on a little background or what they hey spring it on me I'll be a spear carrier, red shirt. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Was into the looking glass the one where they use bosun higgs particles to open parallel universes?

Why stick with the serious or military scifi? (Although several of the ringo series read like a rpg...march to the sea, etc comes to mind.) You could have a heck of a time doing one with Discworld...