I Forge Iron

What is this hammer handle tool?

Jesse17

What is this tool on the hammer handle called? What does it do, extend the handle or just give you a better grip or something? Are they something that used to be common? Do people still use them? I have one in a box of junk but had no idea what it was or that it had anything to do with a hammer, until I ran into this picture on ebay.

$_12[1].JPG

Oh, I see. Thank you. I wonder if a mod should delete this thread since it has nothing to do with a hammer/tool.

The thread is educational as the hame is part of a horse/mule harness. By itself it may not be recognized as a hame. Some use the hame as a handle on a walking stick, decorations in a home or barn etc.

Oh no, I wouldn't know what a hame is if you didn't post the original.The hammer itself is a Pexto cross pien, a tin knockers forming hammer. The vise is a ball vise, (what we called them) used for fine work like engraving though not necessarily engraving.

All serious metal working tools this is a good place for them.

Frosty The Lucky.

I didn't know what a hame was or that they're used to start macrame.

I don't know what possible use the information might be but it's taking up a little space in my brain now and I'll know what to do with a hame if I see one at a yard sale. It's been a long long time since I did any macrame you  know. It might be fun.

Frosty The Lucky.

This is one I found on the net with a quick search(not mine). When I made stuff like this picture I would also use the rings as starters to add more knotted parts to give it more of a 3 dimensional look. I would search through all the antique stores around to find complete hames with the brass ends, polish them up to a mirror finish then do the macramé' work on them, good sellers back then.

hame.jpg

Dan , good point , but " he found " another picture " on e-bay , " if " it's on that it should be easy to do any form of search online  " including google " ( btw which I never mentioned )

Dale Russell

For the record it never said what it was in the ebay listing either, just said something like "rare hammer tool". So I still had no way of knowing what to search for.

Edited by Jesse17

had no idea what it was or that it had anything to do with a hammer, until I ran into this picture on ebay.

​There are several hames on ebay. They are both individual parts and attached to other things such as hammer handles, walking sticks, and decorations. If you have never seen one before you will not know what it is or what it is called to get additional information on the item. To see it as attached to something other a harness would throw you off from finding the original name and original use for the part.

hame 2.jpg

hame.jpg

hame 3.jpg

Edited by Glenn

Ol, to be more specific, the wooden hame in the macrome is the tyoe that would be used with the brass finial, it would be mounted to (what is the top) the left end. If I can remember when I get home i will post piture of a compleat set.

FWI wooden hames are a ualy very nice for heavy work as the angle of draft can be adjusted.

I have walked and ridden behind those hame balls for a zillion miles.  When you had them on your hames when I was a kid you were high class.  I remember my Grand father coming home from  a fair with a pair he had bought of and he was on top of the  world. I've never owned a harness without them.  I  no longer have much in harnesses but I never pass up buying them at sales and have a fair number.  will keep the hammer handle in mind for a use make one for conversation purposes or to confuse the next buyer down the road! 

Glenn  nice picture of the pulling horses brings back a lot memories. 

• 2 months later...