I Forge Iron

Blademithing series on History channel

Frosty

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice win, Theo!  I have to admit, I was torn because I absolutely love and respect Kelly.  I wish she was a member here too!  If you were going against her in the final round I would have been torn.  

I was shocked they didn't test the temper with a flexibility test.  Tai Chi swords are supposed to be supple and flexible.  Your approach to forge welding the handle section was brilliant.

Lou

Congrats Theo, good job. But. . . But . . . (Yeah, there's ALWAYS a but) . . . But. . . Ta dum . . . TA DUM?:wacko:

We need to have us a talk about jokes kid. We'll write you some good material for the next episode you do. Get you something at least a LITTLE snappy to say.  I mean, REALLY. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...

Welcome aboard KragAxe, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance and if you keep beer in the fridge, might. ;)

Pics, we love pics, ask Thomas.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 5 weeks later...

Against my best judgement, I decided to watch a bit of this program just out of curiosity. 

It was a contest to make a knife that would be typical of the country represented. They had 4 smith, A polish, an argentinian, an american and a french. They seem to get along well and helped each other. Skipping the details of each one's approach to the knife, I was very surprised to see the following.

The argentinian smith, seemed to be the most experienced, fast and professional he was way ahead of the rest and finished a nice blade in time. When it came to fit the handle though he struck a problem that seemed futile yet cost him the competition. He drilled the first hole for the rivet near the guard, yet couldn't drill the second near the end of the tongue. He was saying the steel had some enclosure that prevented the drill to get through. What to me seemed an easy fix ... heat the point with the oxy and punch the hole with a punch and then finish with the drill ... or ... cut a groove with a grinder from the end of the tongue to the point where the rivet needs to be ... he decided to cut the tongue shorter, and fit a fake rivet that was only in the timber, so the knife had just the one rivet at the front. 

I was very surprised at such shortcut and as expected when they tested the knife by chopping a log, the handle split and the judge avoided injury because he was just lucky. 

Why would anyone do such a thing and why show it in a competition? 

• 2 months later...

SPOILER ALERT

The poor guy, wasnt watching his fire and burned down his shop and he used 1095 for a  broad sword and it breaks, then makes another out of same too high of carbon content, brittle steel :(  and breaks it again,   Why did he use 1095 ?

It was sad but lighting a fire under a pot of oil then walking away is asking for it. Does ANYONE else have their quench tank in a containment tank? My quench tank is a 15 g. grease barrel with a disk of thickish 1/4" or maybe 5/16" steel to armor the bottom against dropped pieces. It's in a cut down 55 gl. drum; in case there's a boil over and fire I can toss a lid on the containment and go have coffee till it's cool.  have a coffee pot near the man door, I'm not leaving the shop with a fire burning where it isn't supposed to be.  My quench tank is in a STEEL building on a CONCRETE floor with not much flammable within 10' but even ONE gallon of oil spreads a LONG way. 

I have trouble imagining ANYONE would keep their quench tank in a frame building unless the ceiling is 20' even then. 

It really sucks he burned his place but it's a STRONGLY STATED LESSON for everybody who plays with fire. You don't have to be quenching a sword to have a fire get away from you, I was surprised the first time I hardened a chisel in Jr. high metal shop 1. I didn't plunge it completely under the oil surface and got a fireball. The shop teacher was grinning, lesson learned I hadn't paid enough attention when he said what to do and what would happen.

The guys pulling their blades from the oil while they're still hotter than the flash point is I believe contrived drama for the show of it. 

Speaking of contrived drama, has anybody watched the new FIF show, "Knife or Death"? It's been on two weeks and nobody's said a word. Makes me think I was right a dud fro the word go.

Frosty The Lucky.

That’s the beauty of a DVR: you can fast-forward through the commercials, and only lose forty minutes of your life.

One of the best things about Forged In Fire is that it showcases real skill. While it’s obviously an artificial setting, there is enough genuine drama in the forging and the blade tests that extraneous and unnecessary puffery is kept to a minimum. This “Knife or Death” spin-off, on the other hand, has to stretch ten minutes or so of actual cutting into a forty minute show, so they throw in a ton of gimmickry. I doubt it lasts more than a single season.