I Forge Iron

Blademithing series on History channel

Frosty

NUTS! If that tag shows up it's my bad.

What I really want to do is let you know I just saw an ad for a new series on "The History Channel" called, "Forged In Fire."

I've only seen the trailers and ad one time and didn't even catch the premier date but I believe it's a number of blacksmiths involved in a contest to make the best . . . thing? I didn't catch the project, I was replying to a thread here and wasn't paying attention. It was the yellow steel, hammer, anvil and shower of sparks that grabbed me.

Here's one guys. We've been wanting a TV show or series about blacksmithing and it looks like we have one coming up. I'll reply with date and time next time I see the ad or I'm sure someone else with a good memory will beat me to it.

I'm kind of excited and really hope it isn't another version of Big Giant Swords.

Frosty The Lucky.

funky tag removed

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are bladesmiths. It's a reality type show about forging knives. There are a lot of mixed feelings about it on the knife making forums. A few great makers are competing in it and at least one of the judges is an excellent bladesmith.

I am looking forward to watching it. I think it starts this month.

I'm kind of excited and really hope it isn't another version of Big Giant Swords.

Frosty The Lucky.

AMEN to that.

Hopefully, it will be factual, tasteful and entertaining.

But Hollywood's track record leaves me thinking, ... "fat chance".

We'll soon see .....

AMEN to that.

We'll soon see .....

​It seems like a bit of a stretch to class a channel that has given us the likes of American Pickers, Swamp People and Pawn Stars as, "Hollywood".   

AMEN to that.

We'll soon see ..... SmoothBore

As they say in the stock market "Past performance is no guarantee of future returns", but that is the way the smart money bets.

Edited by John McPherson
Spelling error

according to my sources, a few bladesmiths compete making swords, hatchets and knives in various rounds of competition.  I know only 2 names, but sadly even the best group of men can look like fools if the film editor has that planned.  At this point I do not know if it was an honest and fair selection of smiths for this competition or if the deck was stacked by using only a select few people from one group only to give them publicity.  Time will tell

I knew a guy who competed on the show, "World's Best Marksmen" and he said the producers look for "personalities" - just like the other so-called reality shows.  They aren't really interested in competence unless it's paired with whatever appearance and mannerisms the film makers are after.  Were he alive, Ed McGivern probably wouldn't have made the cut because he looked like your favorite retired Grandpa - even though he was a most proficient marksman.

Just saw another ad and they don't show any drama so maybe. All we can do is hope there's enough real smithing to be of interest to us or heck, me. Oh, June 22nd. 10pm Pac time.

Discovery has turned into the hunting bigfoot, NASA unexplained, etc. channel. D"science" is even worse. right now history 2 is all about ancient aliens.

Like I say, I hope there enough grain so once I've winnowed the chaff there's enough blacksmithing I can enjoy it without having to have a couple more beers before it starts.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Well at least History and Discovery haven't gone as far off track as TLC.  I don't really consider "Say yes to the dress", or "What not to wear" or many of their other programs to be up to par for something called "The LEARNING channel."

Nat Geo is starting to slowly go the way of the ratings hound too.  Hopefully the Smithsonian channel hangs on.

Uh huh, ever watch Mythbusters? Notice the science was better on Mythbusters than Discovery science or, well any Disc. channel or Nat Geo?

Darn I'd write more but I have to find out how the Nazis invented a time machine based on reverse engineered UFO tech to go back and make the Maya bury the big footed alien mummy mermaid in the heart of the 3rd. pyramid on the left.

Gotta go now. See ya!

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

in all honesty, warner brothers did show that one isn't seriously injured if struck by a falling anvil, just shoved into the ground.

​Whenever I ask someone if they have an anvil or might know somebody who does, many times they don't know what I'm talking about. I tell them that it's the ACME stamped object that the coyote used to try to drop on the road runner and they ALWAYS know what I'm talking about at that point. lol.

I had a group of school kids stop by my demo at the State Fair mid 90's and the teacher asked if I'd tell them what I'm doing, how, etc. You betcha, the first thing I did was lay my hand on the anvil and ask if they knew what it was.

"A COYOTE KILLER!" Most all of them shouted excitedly without hesitation. It had the teacher spluttering trying to explain but I just laughed and told the kids they were right but mine had never been used for that. We got along great from then on out.

I have trouble not thinking of it as a coyote killer if names come up. I love having kids at demos, they ask the best questions and some of their answers are magic, pure and simple.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's a good one. I've been wanting to get a Wile E. Coyote stuffed doll to put under my anvil at demos since the kids IDing my anvil for me but like so many other cool things I've wanted to do . . . <sigh>

The last time I mentioned it someone linked a site selling Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote dolls of all sizes and types. Someday.

Frosty The Lucky.

You're joking right? Chainsaws are dangerous, something might fall on me!

Then again if anything were going to get me to start one of my Stihls again teaching myself to carve with one just might do it. There's actually a fair market for chainsaw carved critters and scenes.

Frosty The Lucky.

You're joking right? Chainsaws are dangerous, something might fall on me!

Then again if anything were going to get me to start one of my Stihls again teaching myself to carve with one just might do it. There's actually a fair market for chainsaw carved critters and scenes.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just get someone else to cut down your stock.